Sleazy Agent

What would you do in that situation?

I would find a better marketing method. If you are going back to former Bankers policyholders all you are going to do is find more of the same. Its been a problem for quite some time.

1) Bankers-hire every goob off the street and throw them at a wall and see if they stick

2) Have grease monkey manager who are paid overrides to train these people show them how to tell someone they are getting a five year benefit period at $180/$5500 per month coverage for $75 per month and that the rates will never go up

3) Find client and review their policy and show them it's only 360 days of coverage or two years at $125 per day. Notice they've had 25-35% rate increases in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010 and their crappy policy isn't even affordable at this point

4) Lose sale because you can't get them into the coverage they initially thought they had because it's too expensive and they hate all insurance brokers now

5) Call number on Agents card and figure out he hasn't been there for seven years and probably works the bar at LongHorn Steakhouse again.

Last edited:
Really? That's one hell of an ASSumption. That is obviously not my primary marketing method. Sorry if you're one of those agents who "hit it and quit it". Sell them a policy, never to be heard from again. If that were my "marketing method" I'm fairly sure they'd have sued me during my non compete period.

I built pretty good relationships with many of my former clients, and I don't want them getting bent over by some agent padding his pocket at their expense. Now if they bought a policy from another agent that wasn't crooked as hell, good for them. I must not have done my job because they didn't buy it from me. But what I explained is completely ripping her off. I will do my best to "fix" what has been done, and I'll be referred to her family and friends. That's my "marketing method".

Really? That's one hell of an ASSumption. That is obviously not my primary marketing method. Sorry if you're one of those agents who "hit it and quit it". Sell them a policy, never to be heard from again. If that were my "marketing method" I'm fairly sure they'd have sued me during my non compete period.

I built pretty good relationships with many of my former clients, and I don't want them getting bent over by some agent padding his pocket at their expense. Now if they bought a policy from another agent that wasn't crooked as hell, good for them. I must not have done my job because they didn't buy it from me. But what I explained is completely ripping her off. I will do my best to "fix" what has been done, and I'll be referred to her family and friends. That's my "marketing method".

I wasn't saying that about you. Most agents who have a future flee and run far far away after witnessing what is the Banker's training program.

Obviously, you're still around making a living. This was not about you. Just pretty much 90% of every Banker's LTC/STC I run into.

----------

I mean you just said yourself that another agent (from the same place) went in to "service" her policies and that's what happened.

My money is on that agent not even being a practicing agent anymore.

Again, that wasn't a shot at you. You're trying to remedy the situation which is what you should be doing.

That is neither here, nor there. I just wanted caltcagent to realize I'm not some bottom feeding agent scratching by to make a living off my past clients.

I get it, you make a good living. I didn't mean to offend you.

I hope you can protect these people from BLC.

I knew about all of this clients policies, and left the good ones in place.

During the 2 year non compete?

Possibly through the 35 or so carriers I represent? :idea:
So you sell during the 2 year non compete you signed at BLC?

Last edited:
Kamp- wasn't directing the last post to you.

Caltcagent- hmm" how can they buy a policy from you during the 2 year non-compete"? Well, I suppose they could sign some papers and possibly write a check? A non-compete means nothing to them, although I honored it.

That would pertain to policies that either I did, or did not originally sell them. It would work the same. They buy, we complete paperwork, they sign, I submit to carrier and shortly after I deliver the policy.

----------

I get it, you make a good living. I didn't mean to offend you.

I hope you can protect these people from BLC.

During the 2 year non compete?

So you sell during the 2 year non compete you signed at BLC?

No, I didn't solicit/sell during the non-compete. Days after I quit, I received a cease and desist for advising my clients I had left, and referring them to another agent within the office.

----------

I didn't want to "poke the hornets nest" after I left.

Caltcagent- hmm" how can they buy a policy from you during the 2 year non-compete"? Well, I suppose they could sign some papers and possibly write a check? A non-compete means nothing to them, although I honored it.

Since you have been in contact with them since you left I am sure they have been better off than letting the "hornets nest" at them.

This one lady was hopefully an isolated case.

Just a side question in regards to those noncompetes and Bankers in particular. We all know Bankers has a rep of agents going out to policyholders of agents that have left and writing a different policy causing your policy to chargeback. Once you get notification of the chargeback would that client no longer be covered by a nonsolicitation agreement because as far as you know the company is saying your policy cancelled (as a direct result of their activity) just a thought I had this evening.

So just misrepresentation? Wow I didn't know that they weren't covered by E&O. So then you would need an umbrella policy for that?
Those activites are criminal acts.. Don't beleive an Umbrella would cover them. if charged and convicted, the court could order restitution.

Back