social security income and ex-spouses

I'm speaking with a guy who would like to know the likelihood of of being able to qualify for Medicaid. Based on his monthly income, I told him that he probably wouldn't. But then I discovered that his ex-wife is receiving half of his social security every month. Does Medicaid take this info consideration when determining if he'd qualify or not? Thanks!

If they are living together, you combine total income and assets of both to determine medicaid qualification.

I never said that. By the way i think i will believe my brother who has ended up this season number 5 for humana. His name is chris and he is from cincy with his own agency

This is why agents have no business telling folks what they do or do not qualify for.[/QUO
Who is eligible for Medicare?
Generally, Medicare is available for people age 65 or older, younger people with disabilities and people with End Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant). Medicare has two parts, Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medicare Insurance). You are eligible for premium-free Part A if you are age 65 or older and you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:
Seems you should do a little google before you decide to argue.

No because i know people that worked as waiters that never made enough to get medicare. I know a few people that get both. I'm not going to argue but i have helped people get on both. Have family that are case workers
In 2018 one earned four quarters of coverage (QC) for that year by working 40 hours per week making $2.54 per hour. Ten years ago, 2009, one could get those same four QC by working 40 hours a week at $2.10 per hour. You cited the 80’s where four QC were earned by working 40 hours per week at 97 cents per hour in 1989, even less earlier in that decade.

So, even setting aside their taxable tip money, there is no way waiters would not qualify for premium-free Part A unless for their entire life they reported $0 of their tips AND worked less than ten years AND weren’t married to someone who earned more or worked longer. Working people and their spouses qualify. Even really poorly paid ones.

I waited tables from 1978 to 1984 and got four QC every year even with tips not included. Back then they didn’t withhold taxes on tips like they do today.

Last edited:
I find that carrying all this data around in my head becomes a bit much. As I get older it becomes more of a challenge to retrieve this info from the file room in my head.

My suggestion is to not worry about Medicaid qualifications. How many of us are really making money getting people qualified for Medicaid? When you run into situations that are confusing, send them to the local Medicaid office and be done with it.

I coach them a little bit on how to manage the process. I make them aware they are going to need bank statements. I tell them they should get a response in two weeks. Lastly I tell them; after you get the final determination as to whether or not you qualify, call me. We will probably have to change your insurance.

That’s it.

There's this amazing thing... called the internets or the "information super-highway" and we can look things up directly from the source!

Benefits Planner: Retirement | If You Are Divorced | Social Security Administration

If You Are Divorced
If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
They key word in the above is you can receive benefits ON your ex-spouse's record... not FROM.

@ j....b Just because a family member has business knowledge and business skill does not necessarily mean you possess the same knowledge and skill of the detailed workings of that type of business.

Look i asked my brother. I'm not the one selling medicare advantage plans not knowing that you or your significant other has to have worked 40 quarters. Please kindly retort to him.Also I have sold some medicare supplements and advantage plans. So you to assume I don't know what i am talking about looks rather foolish on you. Monumental life had different types of insurance that we could sell. At that time i place this type of business through golden rule. I was offered the job first through Humana but had built a huge debit and at the time I felt loyalty to my customers. So i got him the interview. The job was offered by my cousin's godfather so it was a 9 inch putt.

Last edited:
Back