Social Selling: LinkedIn, MyFace, Insta-Twit because Cold Calling is DEAD

Rick Deckard

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have had a roller coaster ride my first 12 months. Went to a lot of Chamber events, Network events, Outbound calls, and in the Social Media World it seems that cold calling is dead. Now you and I know that targeted Outbound phone calls will work and will continue to work but it would be nice to generate more inbound calls because I find the close ratio on them is rather high.

That said, does anyone in here really understand this platform? From personal experience I tend not to buy in the end when I am not working with an associate from the company. I have never transacted a policy without some real interaction with the client. Just working up a quote, email it, signed and return, never. And yet so many new age digital media folks are bashing cold calls which really is an umbrella for ALL OUTBOUND calls.

Is anyone converting inquiries from social media? I have read up on it, been sent "social media" tips direct from authors thru Linked In, still it just seems like a mystery. No agency I know of around my area is spending any kind of money on social media presence and awareness, what say you?

It's less about the medium, and more about the super-awesomeness of your content.

Excellent point and I agree that many of the things that I gravitate towards on the internet deal with the content that is being produced. So now you have to be a TV Production level marketing agency to move into the 21st Century? Where is this moving towards in 5-10 years? Not everyone and especially book nerd agents who love a big spreadsheet of risk numbers, they're not going to produce content that will appeal to the masses.

Again, excellent point.

Haven't cold called or knocked doors in years so can't say if it still works or not. Just know that isn't for me.

Inbound calls generated on the internet do still work, you just have to figure out a way to build a better mouse trap. It is tough competing with the big guys who spend thousands every month on ads, but it can be done.

Haven't cold called or knocked doors in years so can't say if it still works or not. Just know that isn't for me.

Inbound calls generated on the internet do still work, you just have to figure out a way to build a better mouse trap. It is tough competing with the big guys who spend thousands every month on ads, but it can be done.

So how are you able to accomplish these? I have a 2018 book by Jason McDonald one of the foremost authorities on SEO out of San Fran...Google Click ads? I would love to generate more inbound calls.

So how are you able to accomplish these? I have a 2018 book by Jason McDonald one of the foremost authorities on SEO out of San Fran...Google Click ads? I would love to generate more inbound calls.
You do it one of 3 ways:
  1. SEO: Rising organically through the ranks
  2. PPC: Buying paid ads on networks like Google, Bing, Youtube, Taboola etc.
  3. SMM: Posting and educating where your clients are mostly likely at, and/or talking about their problems. Which means posting on social media channels, forums etc. to channel traffic back to your site where you present your 1 solution (that should hopefully get them to trade their email to you in exchange for it so you can drip on them until they take action).

I have said it before, most of my business is through Facebook. I don't even go to chamber or other events that often. I teach my homebuyers classes but I just get so much more from Facebook and the events that I help organize.

Any particular age ranges that come up better with facebook (say 35-55) or do you get a turnout from all across the age spectrum?

I thought you were the cold calling professor? I guess class is dismissed.

I don't think he said (cold calling) class was dismissed, i think he's looking at other avenues to generate leads.

I personally know an individual who does nothing but cold call for commercial agents
(that's all she does and makes a pretty decent wage).

Back