Some food for thought when calling your leads!

I call up to 4 times without making contact:
1. Once I get the lead
2. The next day
3. 2 days later
4. 1 week later

I cold call, not on consumers but agents such as you guys. I call a new prospect once, then follow-up a week later. If I still have not heard back, I follow-up in 2 weeks, then a month, then 6 months.

I just posted a new topic on the life forum. With all the telemarketing restrictions now, I think depending on cold calling simply will not work for everyone. What have we found that works? Mail

Instead of cold calling, why not SOMEHOW have another party generate your leads. If they are decent leads (let's say Med Sup leads from a mailer), a couple of hundred dollars a week for lead generation-say 10-20 leads- would result in several sales. What am I missing?

If you are talking about a mailer then yes, you can do that. But, you still need to cold call in addition to the mailers.

What you would be missing is enough appointments if you did only mailers. Cold calling is free and I actually get more sales from it than mailers and thats why I do both

...Cold calling is free and I actually get more sales from it than mailers and thats why I do both

I also get more sales from cold calling. That's why I stopped spending money on "leads" a long time ago.

By not buying leads my ROI is almost 100% which means I get to keep all the commission I make. Therefore I don't have to work as hard or sell as much insurance as the agent who is buying leads to make more money than he does.

After 25 yrs in the insurance business (but only 1 yr in med sups), still trying to get a handle on the most important aspect of our business-prospecting. Trying to figure out the best "blend" for me. So far, I've been building up my business via very warm contacts, through a strong center of influence, seminar selling and referrals. However, time to invest a bit more into my business.
I understand the ROI thing. However, I want to leverage my most valuable asset-my time. Over the next several months, I am planning a mail campaign, building a nice website with paid ads to drive people to that site, and cold calling. Still coming to grips how much time I need to devote to cold calling.
Quick question for the both of you-what are your favorite times to cold call? I'm finding around 9AM-10:30AM and 4PM-6PM work well.
Lastly, Frank and Chazm, the both of you have been excellent sources of credible information. Thanks.

After 25 yrs in the insurance business (but only 1 yr in med sups), still trying to get a handle on the most important aspect of our business-prospecting. Trying to figure out the best "blend" for me. So far, I've been building up my business via very warm contacts, through a strong center of influence, seminar selling and referrals. However, time to invest a bit more into my business.
I understand the ROI thing. However, I want to leverage my most valuable asset-my time. Over the next several months, I am planning a mail campaign, building a nice website with paid ads to drive people to that site, and cold calling. Still coming to grips how much time I need to devote to cold calling.
Quick question for the both of you-what are your favorite times to cold call? I'm finding around 9AM-10:30AM and 4PM-6PM work well.
Lastly, Frank and Chazm, the both of you have been excellent sources of credible information. Thanks.

For seventeen years I have been trying to identify the best time to call. I found the very best time is when they are going to answer the phone. :twitchy: I have had good success with them answering the phone when calling between 5:30 and 8:30, pm not am.

Although the "best" times of the day will vary there are days that are superior to other days. Anytime the weather is such that you don't want to go out, neither will they.

Crappy weather makes for great selling. I hit those days the hardest starting at 8:30 am going until 8:30 pm.

Let me say this.. I've done my share of cold calling through the years and was fairly successful at it but I firmly believe my time and any other Agents is more valuable elsewhere. Time management is crucial to our success and my time needs to be spent taking to qualified leads and selling. There are a ton of ways to develop new leads and plenty of creative people to lean on for ideas and advice. Bottom line is you must spend money to get to the next level. Are you happy making 50-75 k working for home? If so, then you can probably get by with cold calling and referrals.

Best wishes to all agents no matter how you market.

Latest posts

Back