Starting independent agency in NYC need help

Good afternoon everyone,

I’m currently State Farm team member and considering to go independent in NYC.

I have some questions hope you could help answer them.
1. I don’t think I will get appointments 1by 1 from each carriers so best choice is join Siaa to get instant access for many carriers? If not what is better?

2. Once I get appointments from Carriers where do I get my crm, raters, and computer equipments to start my office?

3. Should I charge broker fee for each policy I sell on p&c /health/life products? If not ,why?

4. Is there anything I must know or if I missed something important you could add on?

Thank you so much in advance!

Question - Commerical or Personal Lines?

2. Once I get appointments from Carriers where do I get my crm, raters, and computer equipments to start my office?
You will buy them.

1. I don’t think I will get appointments 1by 1 from each carriers so best choice is join Siaa to get instant access for many carriers? If not what is better?
I would inquire with other independents in NYC as its a very very specialized market. And folks selling insurance products in other states are not going to be much help. Myself included.

3. Should I charge broker fee for each policy I sell on p&c /health/life products? If not ,why?
You can where allowed by law, but good luck with that on every policy.

4. Is there anything I must know or if I missed something important you could add on?
Yes, I would expect to lose money in this endevour, unless you have one of the world's best business plans. The independent insurance agent landscape is like quicksand right now.

Best of Luck

Back