Status of HealthCare.Gov

I'm wondering if we have a case?

Perhaps. Oklahoma filed one this week that uses the Affordable Care Act's own wording to invalidate a significant component of Obamacare...

Excerpt: "Adler and Cannon studied the actual text of the law — something Congress never did — and found that it explicitly provided a subsidy only to those who receive their insurance through state exchanges. Indeed, the subsidies and tax credits were intended to be the carrot that induced states to set up exchanges rather than force the feds to set up their own."

Full Article: Suit in Oklahoma could knock out ObamaCare - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com
ac

I remember reading this in the law years ago.
I wondered for a LONG time if Texans would get ANY subsidies.
I really thought that NO Texan would buy a possible/probable overpriced ACA policy...till the Texas insurance companies kept moving forward & saying it was really going to happen (and they were excited about it)....and that Texans WOULD get subsidies.

I thought that the executive office had simply overridden the law (as is common in our country these days).

I'm happy to see that Oklahoma sic'd some smart atty's on it.
It will create confusion.
But, what's new?

I remember reading this in the law years ago.
I'm happy to see that Oklahoma sic'd some smart atty's on it.
It will create confusion. But, what's new?

That's the key question, TxOnline. I don't understand the nuances of law, but there must be a reason why Oklahoma would try to accomplish the same thing that other states failed to accomplish. Just yesterday, Indiana filed suit to block subsidies from being paid to its residents. Talk about state leaders kicking their constituents in the teeth! wow.

Perhaps. Oklahoma filed one this week that uses the Affordable Care Act's own wording to invalidate a significant component of Obamacare...

Excerpt: "Adler and Cannon studied the actual text of the law — something Congress never did — and found that it explicitly provided a subsidy only to those who receive their insurance through state exchanges. Indeed, the subsidies and tax credits were intended to be the carrot that induced states to set up exchanges rather than force the feds to set up their own."

Full Article: Suit in Oklahoma could knock out ObamaCare - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com
ac

Here is a synopsis that explains how subsides on FFE's are illegal:

Taxation Without Representation:

The Illegal IRS Rule to Expand

Tax Credits under the PPACA*

Attachments

• cannon-adler-health-matrix-23.pdf
    423.8 KB · Views: 4
Well.....in Texas, we already HAD a system in place for Texans.

We had:
- A subsidized State Risk Pool for those with pre-x conditions
- Many students could remain on parent's policies to age 26
.....Varied by ins company
- The poor had medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing & electricity & phones & Lord knows what else to help them in every way possible.
- Our county taxes paid for their hospitalizations & ER visits if they couldn't get medicaid.
- I stood behind people at the grocery store every week who couldn't speak a lick of English & had to have the store clerk re-check them out because they didn't hand their govt credit card to the store clerk BEFORE she started checking them out.
Something that I didn't understand......but KNEW that it had SOMETHING to do with the govt (the taxpayers) paying for their basket of groceries.
I even remember the store clerks going to a special place to retrieve cases of baby formula (at no charge) for these non-English-speaking people....while I patiently waited in line to be checked out.
These waits have magically disappeared for some reason.
Maybe their smart govt credit cards work smoother now.
Maybe the govt ships the baby formula to their front door now.
- We had a Gold Card (free health care provided by the county) for those who couldn't get medicaid.
- We had charity hospitals (paid for by donations)
- We had panhandlers standing at intersections (probably making good money)
- We had SSI for those who were disabled
- We even had neighbors helping neighbors....family helping family....churches helping ANYONE who asked...handing out food several times a week to ANY one who drove up in their fancy cars (or old clunkers)....handing over checks to help people pay their medical bills.
Most (if not all) of this is STILL in place in my community.

I haven't see ANYONE getting kicked in any teeth around here.
And, I don't think it will change a bit if the federal (ACA) subsidies are yanked.

TxOnline, Is Texas the state with the highest number of uninsured people? I remember hearing someone say this to Gov. Perry during presidential debates. From that list of state benefits you provided, it's probably true that anyone without health insurance in Texas would receive pretty thorough medical treatment anyway, wouldn't they? You have more safety-nets than Ringling Brothers!

I think that's right, Allen....highest number of un-"insured".....but NOT un-COVERED.

Safety-net capitol of this great circus....oops nation.

OMG David. I know just enough about programming to be dangerous. Those comments are mostly from code slingers that should know their stuff.

No wonder the thing doesn't work.

As I recall, eHealth offered to build the site for them. Wonder if HHS is having buyers remorse now.

Latest posts

Back