SugarCRM - free software to help run your office

You seem to dislike any program that comes with a price tag.

Not true. I have a lot of non-free software.... Parallels ($80), PDFpen ($30), RapidWeaver ($40), WindowsXP ($110) and a few others.

I will buy software that I think is better than what is free, but I've had really good luck with open-source "freeware." Also, as John pointed out, I have the knowledge and ability to 'tweak' programs if necessary. Since I know how to build the deck, and since I enjoy building the deck, I see no reason not to.... even if I can afford it. (I have a housekeeper and a gardener, and a bug guy because I don't like cleaning, mowing, or spraying!)

However, you seem to have a personal problem with YIO. Why is that?

I have a personal issue with the guy who sells YIO, that's no secret. But I don't get "personally" involved with software. It's like trying on a new shirt. Either it fits and you like it, or you don't. I don't like YIO, I don't think it's worth the money to me, and thus I don't use it. That's my opinion and just as you are free to express your opinion on how much you like the program, I exercise the same rights. Even if the guy who sells YIO was my best friend, I still would not use his software... because I don't like it. What is hard to understand about that?

But I NEVER tell others not to use it... anymore than I would tell them what shirt to wear. If YIO works for you, and obviously it does, than by all means keep using it. Same for everyone else. Why should I care? (And I really don't!)

I wish the owner of YIO all the success in the world with his program. It's just not what I want to look at day in and day out. It's not personal. I don't much care for Microsoft as a company, but I have some of their products. I don't much like Apple either, but I have their products. I don't even like most of the carriers I sell for, but I do. None of them do business as I would want them to... but I can't change the world and I don't try. I say what I think and go about my business, letting others go about theirs.

One thing I do keep in mind, however. "If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes." I'm always looking for 'better' things... software, carriers, investments, opportunities, etc. I'm not tired or lazy. I'm the youngest 60 year-old you will ever meet (dude :-) )

Al

icon1.gif
Re: SugarCRM - free software to help run your office

If you guys would take up smoking you can write all your notes and follow up information on the back of the cigarette pack. I've been doing that for years. (It is free as well)

Gosh, all this detailed gibberish (tech talk) about computer programs, I don't know WTF you nerds are talking about. I am going back to my trusty old Royal manual typewriter!:twitchy::twitchy::twitchy:

Gosh, all this detailed gibberish (tech talk) about computer programs, I don't know WTF you nerds are talking about. I am going back to my trusty old Royal manual typewriter!:twitchy::twitchy::twitchy:

Perhaps you could tell all of us what it was like when the Titanic went down

:D

Al, I agree tht the YIO interfce should be changed. I am thinking more of like a playboy centerfold:) You know tht is a great idea and the pages of clients won't even stick together! :D

I love YIO and I see no need to look for something different. I can't wiat for the next version though. Not that it needs anything extra, I am just interested to see what could be better.

Who is the guy that made YIO and why do you have a problem with hime Al?

If you are still looking check out I-Relay.com. Their program is made for Insurance professionals, takes automated downloads so you dont have to rekey a lot of data and is packed full of marketing to get you rolling.

I seriously question using remotely hosted CRM solutions. I have used ACT! for years and it is the industry standard, well supported, and not going anywhere anytime soon.

ACT is a GREAT database and you can do GREAT reporting on it. It is also very stable if setup correctly - I have a call center and a huge network and NEVER EVER have data or stability issues - never.

ACT is however a crappy dialer - terrible.

You should consider using it with a DIALER add on or predictive dialer - which is what we do.

Overall for stability of data and low cost ACT to me is a clear winner.

I have a trusted Ebay seller that sells legit copies of ACT if anyone needs a good source PM me for the info I have used the guy for years and pay a fraction of what ACT rips you off for the software.

But like anything else one shoe doesn't fit all... in the end it is what you are comfortable with...

If you are still looking check out I-Relay.com. Their program is made for Insurance professionals, takes automated downloads so you dont have to rekey a lot of data and is packed full of marketing to get you rolling.

This really looks nice. I watched their animated demo. I don't know why they don't have an online demo system so that people could 'play' with it.

It looks well-worth the $25 a month per user they want for it. Has lots of sophisticated features well integrated for the financial professional.

I'll stick with SugarCRM because it's free and I have it on my server (so I can use it anywhere in the world I can get a web connect) and it works well enough for my simple operation. However, if I had an agency with staff/agents selling lots of products from many carriers, I'd sign up for this in a New York minute! :yes:

Thanks for posting about this.

Al

Back