Switching from New York Life To?

alexdominates

So I will be straight to the point here. I am a captive agent at New York Life. I am seriously considering if not have already made up my mind to leave NYL. I just do not know where to yet. I have an interview with North Western Mutual tomorrow, and I have an interview on Thursday of this week with a smaller firm that deals with Mass Mutual. I have been in the game for a little over 3 months and realized quickly that New York Life is a great company, but not right for me.

After reading some topics on this forum covering leaving clients behind, I am starting to think that NWML wont be right either, as I do not want to start all over again. Obviously I have not met with them yet so do not know if this information is true or false, yet.

Also after reading info on this site it seems that smaller firms don't hold you captive and you might be able to take your client book with you with some minor tweaks in benefits.

So please after you read this comment on anything you think is correct or not and let me know your opinion on the matter. What would you do.

So I will be straight to the point here. I am a captive agent at New York Life. I am seriously considering if not have already made up my mind to leave NYL. I just do not know where to yet. I have an interview with North Western Mutual tomorrow, and I have an interview on Thursday of this week with a smaller firm that deals with Mass Mutual. I have been in the game for a little over 3 months and realized quickly that New York Life is a great company, but not right for me. After reading some topics on this forum covering leaving clients behind, I am starting to think that NWML wont be right either, as I do not want to start all over again. Obviously I have not met with them yet so do not know if this information is true or false, yet. Also after reading info on this site it seems that smaller firms don't hold you captive and you might be able to take your client book with you with some minor tweaks in benefits. So please after you read this comment on anything you think is correct or not and let me know your opinion on the matter. What would you do.

I started 10 years ago at New York Life. NYL and NWM are virtually identical. Are you open to FE or another avenue of business or do you like the type of business you're running now but want to get out of the NYL system?

I started 10 years ago at New York Life. NYL and NWM are virtually identical. Are you open to FE or another avenue of business or do you like the type of business you're running now but want to get out of the NYL system?

What is an FE? Sorry I am new to this. Basically I am not happy with NYL because the training that I need is not up to par and I do not get along with my partner. They are in transition mode between managing partners.

What is an FE? Sorry I am new to this. Basically I am not happy with NYL because the training that I need is not up to par and I do not get along with my partner. They are in transition mode between managing partners.

FE = feline excrement.

FE is Final Expense... but feline excrement isn't that far off!

If you need higher quality training... you may want to consider PAYING for training and being an independent agent, rather than "guessing" which firm may or may not have quality training for you.

And, by reputation, NYL probably has the most regimented training available... which means it won't necessarily get better for you by switching firms.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...ance-new-life-agents-t29999-2.html#post990663

The thing is I do not think I have received that regimented training that New York Life offers, since they are going through transition of managing partners at my location. I did not even go to fundamental career school till 3 months into the business. On top of that I have to drive 2 1/2 hours drive twice a week for a 2 hour max class that is repetitive and not really helping me.

FE is Final Expense... but feline excrement isn't that far off!

If you need higher quality training... you may want to consider PAYING for training and being an independent agent, rather than "guessing" which firm may or may not have quality training for you.

And, by reputation, NYL probably has the most regimented training available... which means it won't necessarily get better for you by switching firms.

NY Life is a big company. I was in their Boston office and despite being a large office I was not happy with their mentoring. However, sometimes in a big company you have to look for who can help you. A great agent in Chicago office helped me over the phone in 2 phone calls. You can't expect the MP to to do everything for you. This might be true at other insurance agencies too, but NYL tends to show you 67 different ways to sell life insurance and this can be overwhelming. Sometimes you have keep trying and figure out if one of those methods works for you or tweak few of ways and come with the 68th way to make it in this business. You can private message me if you would like help in finding mentoring within NYL system.

If you do not like NYL then you wont like any other captive agency that is worth two nickels. Go indy and do what GHK said and pay for training. Start listening to podcasts , watching youtube videos, ect in order to figure out what exactly you want to sell whether it be term or FE or med....and focus on that until you are making a good living THEN if you decide to you can learn to sell more products.

NYL is known for some of the best and most consistent training in the industry. However, it sounds like you are just at a crappy office.

My first week at NYL I spent 6 hours a day in career school. I was not allowed to speak to prospects until I completed career school.
The second week we trained in small groups for 3 hours a day and the rest of the day we practiced prospecting.

So after 2 weeks I had 45 hours worth of training. For the first 3 years you were also required to go to at least 1 training meeting per week.

I disagree with other comments that you will not like other career shops. What you have experienced so far is not the normal way a new agent is taught in a career office.

Id suggest that you speak to your local Mass, Guardian, North Western, Met, or Pru office. See what they are like and even ask to sit in on a training session.

Starting out indy working the type of market that NYL is geared towards is a very hard thing to do in my opinion. There is no way I would be where I am today without the training I received at NYL. It is true that you can pay for training systems. But that is not the same as learning from multiple people in that type of environment. Also, one of the best ways to learn in this industry is to do joint work with a more experienced agent. That is easy to do in a big office like that. Not so easy as an indy agent. Find a different office and give it a try.

Back