Switching from New York Life To?

NYL is known for some of the best and most consistent training in the industry. However, it sounds like you are just at a crappy office.

My first week at NYL I spent 6 hours a day in career school. I was not allowed to speak to prospects until I completed career school.
The second week we trained in small groups for 3 hours a day and the rest of the day we practiced prospecting.

So after 2 weeks I had 45 hours worth of training. For the first 3 years you were also required to go to at least 1 training meeting per week.

I disagree with other comments that you will not like other career shops. What you have experienced so far is not the normal way a new agent is taught in a career office.

Id suggest that you speak to your local Mass, Guardian, North Western, Met, or Pru office. See what they are like and even ask to sit in on a training session.

Starting out indy working the type of market that NYL is geared towards is a very hard thing to do in my opinion. There is no way I would be where I am today without the training I received at NYL. It is true that you can pay for training systems. But that is not the same as learning from multiple people in that type of environment. Also, one of the best ways to learn in this industry is to do joint work with a more experienced agent. That is easy to do in a big office like that. Not so easy as an indy agent. Find a different office and give it a try.

What he said.

And adding, if you and the new managing partner are not a "fit" GET OUT NOW. Long term, that doesn't work. And there will be more than one point in the next 3 years where you will need someone in management on your side and he isn't going to be there for you.

NYL is known for some of the best and most consistent training in the industry. However, it sounds like you are just at a crappy office.

My first week at NYL I spent 6 hours a day in career school. I was not allowed to speak to prospects until I completed career school.
The second week we trained in small groups for 3 hours a day and the rest of the day we practiced prospecting.

So after 2 weeks I had 45 hours worth of training. For the first 3 years you were also required to go to at least 1 training meeting per week.

I disagree with other comments that you will not like other career shops. What you have experienced so far is not the normal way a new agent is taught in a career office.

Id suggest that you speak to your local Mass, Guardian, North Western, Met, or Pru office. See what they are like and even ask to sit in on a training session.

Starting out indy working the type of market that NYL is geared towards is a very hard thing to do in my opinion. There is no way I would be where I am today without the training I received at NYL. It is true that you can pay for training systems. But that is not the same as learning from multiple people in that type of environment. Also, one of the best ways to learn in this industry is to do joint work with a more experienced agent. That is easy to do in a big office like that. Not so easy as an indy agent. Find a different office and give it a try.

That ^^^, if that is your market. Learning and speaking with the agents in a captive office can invaluable. They are working the same market in the area you are working. My first year as a captive I learned as much bsing over beers as I did in the classes.

Thanks for understanding my situation, to answer some of the other posters. I am doing what I can to learn as far as watching videos, reading, talking with more experienced agents etc. I am definitely not waiting for anyone do to anything for me. I know I will be successful regardless of where I go, but I do not want to make things harder on myself by having a partner that is only been in the business for 5 years, and is really not competent when it comes to the sell.

But I think you and my wife are right, this is not normal way an agent makes it into the business. One should not have to wait 3 months to get into training school.

I had my meeting with North Western Mutual already today and they are seemingly more organized compared to the Sunrise and Doral office of NYL. Also the training will be done on location, not in Sunrise (2 1/2 hr drive).

Tomorrow I have my second sit down with NWML and my first with a company that does business with Mass Mutual.

Right now the leader in the club house is NWML. Please if anyone has anymore things to add feel free to do so, good or bad or indifferent.

I'll throw in my 2 cents for free.
I'm an NM agent, I've seen people go to NYL and Mass and StateFarm during my 2 years, and other leave the industry.

It all depends on the program at your office. The people running it, if they 'get you' and if they give a damn.

I've heard very different things from other NM reps on this forum, but my experience has been that I have no trouble placing 'outside business' (non-NM products) with my clients. Several people in my office, and detached offices, place a large portion of their biz outside NM.

My offices training program is good. I was never forced joint work (although I loved it for my first 4 months, and with certain clients now), I have 2 recommended meetings (3hrs per week), until yr 5, and other optional ones. Also, no major flack for not attending a training, as long as I'm having activity.

I had a friend leave NM, got to NYL, talk about how much better it was, and now she's onto some other non-mutual because 'no one gets her'.

If you are at a "captive" agency, it's all about who is mentoring / training you.

"as long as I have activity"

You mean productivity. In any of these situations if you're producing commissions, nobody bothers you and everybody is happy.

There are people who about every 3 months till they're out of the business look elsewhere because they "don't get them" where they're at now.... Translation "I'm not producing and they're on me about it."

There is a reason for a 10% retention level in this business and the 90% isn't just made up working in a bad office.

Hey I just left NYL. I was there for about a year. It is a great company, but there compliance and underwriting is pretty killer. Not only that but I got the feeling that it was all about up-selling. CWL was what they were all about at my GO. I also didn't find the training very helpful, but I did get a long great with my partner. Also they were a bit pricey and I felt as if they were not always the best fit with clients. I went Indy and am just getting going with that. You obviously have to be ethical and follow the law in your practice. However, you do not have to do things the "NYL way", which I didn't like, and does not work for everybody.

Thanks for all your responses. Just got.back from from NWML 3rd interview and I am going to take the opportunity with NWML. After speaking with many people there I am convinced with their help and my work ethic great things can happen.

Hey I just left NYL. I was there for about a year. It is a great company, but there compliance and underwriting is pretty killer. Not only that but I got the feeling that it was all about up-selling. CWL was what they were all about at my GO. I also didn't find the training very helpful, but I did get a long great with my partner. Also they were a bit pricey and I felt as if they were not always the best fit with clients. I went Indy and am just getting going with that. You obviously have to be ethical and follow the law in your practice. However, you do not have to do things the "NYL way", which I didn't like, and does not work for everybody.

Thanks so much for this thread. Much needed. I too and am a similar situation and thinking about exploring options outside of New York Life.

With the last post being 7 months ago, where did you end up?

Thanks so much for this thread. Much needed. I too and am a similar situation and thinking about exploring options outside of New York Life.

With the last post being 7 months ago, where did you end up?

Didn't you read his last response?

"Thanks for all your responses. Just got.back from from NWML 3rd interview and I am going to take the opportunity with NWML.":goofy:

Back