Taking Away Our Commissions

Rebeldog

Blue Shield along with Covered CA (and few other carriers) willbe mailing co-branded letters in November to all existing clients pushing them towards the Exchange. I recently learned from Blue Shield, and to my dismay, when clients receive these letters and apply online through Covered CA, we lose these clients unless broker of record letters are re-submitted by clients to designate us as servicing agents.

On the other hand, Anthem assured us that when clients apply on the Exchange, we will not lose control of these clients and will continue to service their accounts and earn commissions. I’m not sure why Blue Shield’sapproach has to be different and make it more difficult and sometimes impossible to earn and maintain commissions which is rightfully ours. It’s very easy to blame “The System” i.e. our system doesn’t have the capabilities to determine if you were the servicing agent etc… Even though I sent letters to my clients asking them to call me so I can guide them through the process, I’m pretty sure that a vast majority of them will go online and apply directly through Covered CA.

If we can all pull together and start a class action lawsuit against these companies and/or Covered CA, that’s the only way we might be able to stop them from stealing our commissions. If anyone of you can give me some feedback on this matter and maybe discuss the legality of this with an attorney friend, I would greatly appreciate it.

Back