Telemarketing: dialers and scripts

Frank,

Thanks for your input, as always. I too don't like scripts. But I am curious as to what your approach is (or would be) with T-65 lists and of course input from any others is welcome as well. ;) I don't have much experience with calling from lists, and what I'm mainly looking for is a way to open the conversation, although I know there's probably not one "silver bullet" approach. Almost all of my sales in the past have been either from company leads or referrals, and most of them have been MA's, although I'm starting to focus a lot more on Med Supps now. I do have a pretty sizeable book, but I have relocated several hours away from most of them (long story) and want to start writing business where I am now, although I am going to continue to work the old book as well.

I don't attempt to contact T-65. I have tried numerous times using different approaches and the results have always been unsatisfactory.

My marketing is directed to those 67-78.

If you want to give me a call I can be more specific about why I don't contact them and give you an idea of the approach I use with those 67 and above.

I don't attempt to contact T-65. I have tried numerous times using different approaches and the results have always been unsatisfactory.

My marketing is directed to those 67-78.

If you want to give me a call I can be more specific about why I don't contact them and give you an idea of the approach I use with those 67 and above.

Thanks.

I have developed a VERY thorough script, designed to handle all objections I can think of... (will obviously need additions as time reveals my list is too short).

I am having second thoughts about a lengthy script. (My design allows for a short, medium, or long presentation, depending on the client response).

I am thinking more on the order of giving my wife a short script that will be designed just to find those willing to talk further on a call-back basis. I am a little nervous about having anyone but myself make these calls. What is the general consensus?

I shelved the lengthy script. Found it to be useless. I am down to "Are you satisfied with your present Medicare coverage? If not, perhaps I can help."

If they say Yes, I bid them a pleasant day and move on. I have learned to look for interested prospects, and that is someone in pain. The rest do not want to be bothered. If you bow out gracefully, most will appreciate it. Minimizes angry responses for the interruption to their activities.

Telemarketing just does not seem to be panning out. I think I will put my effort back into seminars.

It has only been 10 days since I started this post, and about 7 days dialing, so my experience with this telemarketing campaign is limited.

I need to re-examine what I consider a suitable phone list. Just buying a list of 67-77 year olds puts me in contact with a lot of Medicare beneficiaries, but does not produce many interested prospects. These are what I would call a lead.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to obtain phone lists of interested Medicare prospects?

The best source, I know, is the carriers, but they won't give these to anyone but their captive agents. Most "Lead" companies want to sell response cards, but they are expensive, and from what I hear on the forum, are not worth it. I thought I got my phone list from such a source, but yech!

Frank says that his best source is his own database, and I can see that. However, I don't have over 10(?) years of clients to build referrals from. I need to jumpstart my business. Please post your successful phone list sources.

This thread may be getting boring to many, but a few will be interested. I speak to them.

I use the Cheetah Speedy Dialer to do my telemarketing. It is not "point & click" totally. There is a steep learning curve to get it mastered, but has some neat features if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

I have been able to use my Power Dialer to not only scrub my phone list against the National DNC list, but use the sorting capability to build lists by county, which helps me to get prepared for what my competition is prior to dialing. This takes a little extra effort, because the phone list I bought comes only with the zip code for the address. (Perhaps next time I will have the forethought to ask for this)

As it stands, I use mapquest to look up the counties by zip, add the county to my Master Call list (name by name) and import it to the Cheetah List Manager. (Cheetah comes with an undocumented free-ware program I use to build my *.csv files, which Cheetah requires to operate. PM me if you want more info)

I can then command the List Manager to sort the list county by county, building separate county lists which I save. Then I transfer the county I want to dial to the active calling list, and start dialing.

I code the results quickly (with the click of a button) to "Not Interested", "call back (answering machine)", etc. After I go through the county, I re-set the call back results, leaving the Not Interested numbers blocked, for the next time I call that county, and save it.

I can then develop a report of my call results and transfer that prospect data to my YIO program, effectively priming the prospect list.

(If I had a list of 65+, I could sort out 65s from the rest, etc.)

As with all computer programs, you put in a lot of time up front, but after you do this, running the program for what it is designed to do is quick. For the Cheetah (even using it as a power dialer, and not with the auto-dialer option), you can run through a dialing list quickly.

Anyone using the Cheetah with other tips?

I shelved the lengthy script. Found it to be useless. I am down to "Are you satisfied with your present Medicare coverage? If not, perhaps I can help."

If they say Yes, I bid them a pleasant day and move on.

It's no wonder it isn't working. A stranger calls you and asks if you are satisfied with anything what are you going to say? You know immediately it is a sales call. Do people like to talk to sales people especially if they haven't requested that call. Not NO but HELL NO.

Ask if they are on Medicare. Then ask if they have a Med Sup policy. When they say yes ask who they have it with. That gives you a wealth of information. You now know what they are paying, when they got their last premium increase and can guess when the next one is coming.

Now you can begin explaining to them how you can help them. If you don't get an appointment or make a sale put the name of the insurance company in their record and the next time that company has an increase give them a call.

I know Frank thinks this is a waste of money, but I've been relatively successful using direct mail and targeting women in the household, 70-77 years. In most areas of California, there is a large difference between the best selling carriers and United World. (Age 70, $209 vs. $154 Plan F).

Give me your email by PM and I'll send you a copy. It pulls quite well. Cost is about $380/1,000. Should get 20-25 leads.

Rick

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to obtain phone lists of interested Medicare prospects?

Please post your successful phone list sources.

If such a list was available or existed every insurance agent would be in the senior market.

I make the assumption that every person who is on Medicare is interested. We are in sales, it is up to us to create that interest. That is why we are called salesmen.

If all we had to do is write applications then we would be called "applicationmen". It is up to us to generate that interest.

You are not going to create any interest by asking "Are you satisfied with your present Medicare coverage? You might as well be saying, "you don't want to buy a Med Supp policy do you?" In fact, you may get more positive responses using that when you call.

There are no shortcuts in this business. Become good on the phone and keep accurate records of the people you talk to. Work hard at it every day.

If I remember correctly aren't you a pilot? Did you become a good one in 6 or 12 months? Was their a secret method you used to "jump start" your training?

I know Frank thinks this is a waste of money, but I've been relatively successful using direct mail and targeting women in the household, 70-77 years. In most areas of California, there is a large difference between the best selling carriers and United World. (Age 70, $209 vs. $154 Plan F).

Give me your email by PM and I'll send you a copy. It pulls quite well. Cost is about $380/1,000. Should get 20-25 leads.

Rick

I only think it is a waste of money because I can take the same list they used and make a lot more sales by telemarketing that list myself for less than $100. Now only will I make more sales, I get a lot more of what I consider leads from those I talk to but don't sell right away.

I do not consider a postcard that has been returned a lead. I consider it a confirmation that the person still lives at that address and they like to fill out return postcards. I understand you are making sales from them, I have used them and made sales also. However not as many sales per 1,000 as I have by calling.

You said you get 20 - 25 per 1,000. That is way above the average for a direct mail piece. You are doing well, most usually get 10 -15.

The only numbers that really count are sales per 1,000. You get 20 responses per 1,000, not what I consider "leads". Of those responses how many turn out to be real leads and of those how many sales do you make and what was your cost per sale? In the end those are the only numbers that really count.

If such a list was available or existed every insurance agent would be in the senior market.

Food fight! Food fight! Wow. A disagreement between Rick and Frank! Maybe a cage fight? Maybe Rick will wear a cape that says "SugarCRM man" to piss off Frank! And maybe Frank will dress in USC colors just to "get" Rick. This could be great. Two out of three falls. We could sell tickets! Are you ready to rumbbbbbbblllllle!

If this keeps up it won't be long until the ONLY thing they agree on is how much they hate ME! :laugh:

Al

Back