Telemarketing: dialers and scripts

Food fight! Food fight! Wow. A disagreement between Rick and Frank! Maybe a cage fight? Maybe Rick will wear a cape that says "SugarCRM man" to piss off Frank! And maybe Frank will dress in USC colors just to "get" Rick. This could be great. Two out of three falls. We could sell tickets! Are you ready to rumbbbbbbblllllle!

If this keeps up it won't be long until the ONLY thing they agree on is how much they hate ME! :laugh:

Al
The only real difference is that both Frank and I are successfully writing business. We have a difference in how to generate those leads.

That makes us insurance agents. We're too busy making money. We both agree that it the bottom line.

We do not hate you. You're not that important.

Rick

The only real difference is that both Frank and I are successfully writing business.

If you say so. It's just that I remember in high school that those guys who talked the most about sex... never had any.

We have a difference in how to generate those leads.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?

That makes us insurance agents.

Personally I think it makes you insufferable, but as Dizzy said "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!"

We're too busy making money.

Now you sound like a recruiter from UA or Mega.

We both agree that it the bottom line.

No it's not, but I won't convince you because you are just as Voltaire described the French monarchy: "They learn nothing. They forget nothing."

We do not hate you.

Really? Around this forum I always thought you were Mikey in the cereal commercial.

You're not that important.

Now THAT really hurt. :D

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, do you hear that?

What is that annoying sound?

Sounds like a Jackass alternating between farting and braying doesn't it?

And this is a comment from a self-described "professional insurance agent"?

OK. That's good. But I ask you this.

You really want to PAY this guy... who exhibits this high level of "professionalism"... for his computer system and trust your entire practice to it? I guess you do. Fine with me. Just curious. Knock yourself out.

Al
PS: Why would he capitalize "Jackass"? Because he is from rural MO where he actually has experience with donkey flatulence... or because English is a second language in the Ozarks? No wrong answer.

this)
Anyone using the Cheetah with other tips?

I was looking at the EVS website recently and came upon the Cheetah. Do I understand it is kind of a very basic predictive dialer. Limited to one line so not quite as fast as the other ones being discussed, but a lot faster than dialing by hand. Is that correct?

Retread, overall have you been satisfied with the effectiveness of the Cheetah. I may consider it, but for B2B rather than senior market.

PS: Why would he capitalize "Jackass"? Because he is from rural MO where he actually has experience with donkey flatulence... or because English is a second language in the Ozarks? No wrong answer.
Actuallly, he was typing too fast when he wrote, "Sounds like a Jackass alternating between farting and braying doesn't it?"

He capitalized "Jackass" because he used it as a proper name, like "Steve" or "Paul." The actual sentence he meant to write was, "Sounds like Jackass is alternating between farting and braying, doesn't it?"

He could have said, "Sounds like Al is alternating..." but he chose to use a pet name. Pretty clever I think.:idea:

Rick

I was looking at the EVS website recently and came upon the Cheetah. Do I understand it is kind of a very basic predictive dialer. Limited to one line so not quite as fast as the other ones being discussed, but a lot faster than dialing by hand. Is that correct?

Retread, overall have you been satisfied with the effectiveness of the Cheetah. I may consider it, but for B2B rather than senior market.

Yes, the Cheetah is a really cheap version of a predictive dialer to a degree, if you use it to auto-dial. Personally, I don't use the Dialer in "auto" mode, preferring instead to click on "Dial" when I am ready for the next call. This is called Power dialing, rather than auto-dialing.

If you are really doing a very large number of calls (thousands, not hundreds like I do) then a predictive dialer may be the way to go. EVS has predictive dialers, but at greater cost.

By not using my device to call until I am ready to speak to the prospect, I keep out of the realm of requirements for "drop-outs" and other FTC/FCC regulations (paperwork audit trails to prove your compliance).

The Cheetah may be more suitable to you, if you use it B2B. I would prefer it be designed better to call individuals. I don't need database fields labeled "Account number", "Company", "Title", "Secr", "Department", etc., etc. on the List (database) Manager. Instead, I need those fields labled "age", "county", etc. It does have User Definable fields, that you can label anything you want. Unfortunately, you can't erase or replace the established fields not wanted, and they are the ones that come up on screen first in the List Manager. (To get to the "User Defined" fields, you have to scroll way off screen to see them.)

The "User Defined" fields display on the Dialer, which is a separate program from the Manager, and you bring it up when you want to call. This can be used to store info for ready reference when viewing the current record (prospect) you are calling, but it is one-way. You can't input info in those fields from the Dialer. (All the manual says about this is you can't edit anything on the Dialer, but must make all changes from the Manager.) The only option I have found is to put that info in the "Notes" area, which IS saved along with all data (global) to the List Manager, but then you have to go to the Manager and manually carry this data over to whichever field you want it in for the next time you run that list.

The other beef I have is that it is designed to prevent agents from calling outside the established record order. IOW, if you reach a number that requires a pre-fix to complete the call and get an operator intercept, you have to go all the way through the list, reset the call-back codes and reload the calling list to the first record and start over from the beginning, and when you get to that record, command a pre-fix before dialing. (The reverse is true if you are calling a list requiring a prefix, but have a couple of numbers embedded that do not require a pre-fix) You can't redial a number once dialed. This may be good for a company that wants to keep a tight control over their calling agents, so they can't make additional calls or whatever, but I don't need or want that provision. It blocks me from re-dialing when I need to. I don't know if they will change this in the upgrade or not.

Like I said: For $300 I have to live with it. I can't find anything to compare it to for that price or less. Maybe it is out there somewhere, but I don't have any more time to spend looking for it.

I would say my satisfaction with the product rates a "C" at best (and I am being gracious with this grade). If the upgrade they say is coming does what they claim it will do, I suppose it will make it up to "B", but I really don't think it get above that mark unless the program is made customizable, and more user friendly.

It's no wonder it isn't working. A stranger calls you and asks if you are satisfied with anything what are you going to say? You know immediately it is a sales call. Do people like to talk to sales people especially if they haven't requested that call. Not NO but HELL NO.

Ask if they are on Medicare. Then ask if they have a Med Sup policy. When they say yes ask who they have it with. That gives you a wealth of information. You now know what they are paying, when they got their last premium increase and can guess when the next one is coming.

Now you can begin explaining to them how you can help them. If you don't get an appointment or make a sale put the name of the insurance company in their record and the next time that company has an increase give them a call.

Actually, Frank, I found getting straight to the point got better results than asking if they were on Medicare. I used to say "You ARE on Medicare, aren't you?" (the usual response is yes), followed by "You have both Part A and Part B?" (Yes) ---then "Do you presently have a Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage Plan?"...... If I get this far, most folks will provide me the info. Some will stop me right here and declare NOT Interested and hang up.

Asking if they are satisfied with their plan and getting an affirmative answer, I then ask them "If you don't mind my asking, What company is that with?" and then record that for future use, apologize for any inconvenience and say bye.

I listen to you, Frank. I just have a little different tact. This is the short and sweet method. Maybe I gave up probing a little too soon, but it seemed to annoy too many people. I figure if they feel pain, they will talk. If not, I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

If such a list was available or existed every insurance agent would be in the senior market.

I make the assumption that every person who is on Medicare is interested. We are in sales, it is up to us to create that interest. That is why we are called salesmen.

If all we had to do is write applications then we would be called "applicationmen". It is up to us to generate that interest.

You are not going to create any interest by asking "Are you satisfied with your present Medicare coverage? You might as well be saying, "you don't want to buy a Med Supp policy do you?" In fact, you may get more positive responses using that when you call.

There are no shortcuts in this business. Become good on the phone and keep accurate records of the people you talk to. Work hard at it every day.

If I remember correctly aren't you a pilot? Did you become a good one in 6 or 12 months? Was their a secret method you used to "jump start" your training?

I guess the quest for a list of seniors interested in Medigap plans is the "Holy Grail" of senior insurance! Please don't fault me for searching for it, because I know there are others doing the same.

As far as shortcuts go, I am looking for smarter ways to increase my productivity and not bang my head against the wall, or go over the same bump in the road others have learned to go around. I expect to get better with practice, but without a coach a batter can swing his heart out and never improve, just keep making the same mistakes. I am reporting my endeavors and asking for suggestions on how to improve. Telling me what I am doing is stupid (implied if not stated) is not a great help. I already know the limits of my intelligence.

Yes I am a pilot, and yes I became good in a short time. You had to in the Navy or you were out (my secret method). I became qualified to land on aircraft carriers after 6 months training, and I never flew a plane in my life prior. The remaining time in training was to learn air-to-air combat, air-to-ground dive bombing/strafing, etc. and other specific mission profiles. By the time I got my wings, (a total of 18 months training), I flew formation with wingtip to canopy clearance of 36", just like the Blue Angels, and had earned the Navy "E" award for dive-bombing accuracy. (This was several decades before the invention of GPS!) I got better after 6 months, but at 6 months I not only had soloed, but carrier qualified!

Yes, I am a little short of patience. I need to make more money to re-retire, and my window is small. No time to waste.

Last edited:
Back