Telemarketing: dialers and scripts

Actuallly, he was typing too fast when he wrote, "Sounds like a Jackass alternating between farting and braying doesn't it?"

Well then by that logic... he could have been referring to you... or anyone in this thread. There are no shortage of asses on this board!

Really weak reply, Rick. Really weak. I expected SO much better from a UCLA grad.

I can only assume you got in by Affirmative Action.

Hee Haw,

Al

Actually, Frank, I found getting straight to the point got better results than asking if they were on Medicare. I used to say "You ARE on Medicare, aren't you?" (the usual response is yes), followed by "You have both Part A and Part B?" (Yes) ---then "Do you presently have a Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage Plan?"...... If I get this far, most folks will provide me the info. Some will stop me right here and declare NOT Interested and hang up.

Asking if they are satisfied with their plan and getting an affirmative answer, I then ask them "If you don't mind my asking, What company is that with?" and then record that for future use, apologize for any inconvenience and say bye.

I listen to you, Frank. I just have a little different tact. This is the short and sweet method. Maybe I gave up probing a little too soon, but it seemed to annoy too many people. I figure if they feel pain, they will talk. If not, I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

I can't fault your approach. I have tried that in the past and felt that I was skipping over too many people who only thought they were happy until they realized that there were better options.

I feel it is extremely important that I get the name of their current carrier. This information lets me know if they are or are soon going to be a "qualified buyer". If all I get from them is the name of their current insurance company it has been a successful phone call.

I know that their current company is going to have an increase. As soon as I hear of the increase I call them back. If the increase is large enough and followed closely by the last increase an appointment is relatively easy to get.

There is no magic way of doing it and no shortcuts that I have ever found. This is just what I have found has worked best for me. I have tried other ways of doing it and this just seems to produce the most and consistent results.

Wow, you really did do it in six months. That sounds like an awesome accomplishment to me. Congratulations.

I know Frank thinks this is a waste of money, but I've been relatively successful using direct mail and targeting women in the household, 70-77 years. In most areas of California, there is a large difference between the best selling carriers and United World. (Age 70, $209 vs. $154 Plan F).

Give me your email by PM and I'll send you a copy. It pulls quite well. Cost is about $380/1,000. Should get 20-25 leads.

Rick

Thanks for the info, Rick.

Putting together what you and Frank say about lead response cards, and the short experience I had using them last year, I am thinking of the following:

1) Buy a phone list of 65+
2) Send out a response request (a filter to find interest)
3) Telemarket the responders

In short, this is the same thing as following up on a DM letter with a phone call, but in larger numbers.

Comments?

Thanks for the info, Rick.

Putting together what you and Frank say about lead response cards, and the short experience I had using them last year, I am thinking of the following:

1) Buy a phone list of 65+
2) Send out a response request (a filter to find interest)
3) Telemarket the responders

In short, this is the same thing as following up on a DM letter with a phone call, but in larger numbers.

Comments?
It seems to me that you are trying to keep in house what others are doing with DM. You buy the list. You design the mailing. You telemarket the responders.

How is this any different than outsourcing the frist two items? Unless you get a bulk rate permit and can print cheaply, you will likely pay more than $400/1000. First class stamps are $410/1000 alone. Not to mention the time you spend when you could be playing golf.

Regardless of how you do it, I would target 67 and over. I filter for female in the household (one or two party) age 70-77.

Rick

It seems to me that you are trying to keep in house what others are doing with DM. You buy the list. You design the mailing. You telemarket the responders.

How is this any different than outsourcing the frist two items? Unless you get a bulk rate permit and can print cheaply, you will likely pay more than $400/1000. First class stamps are $410/1000 alone. Not to mention the time you spend when you could be playing golf.

Regardless of how you do it, I would target 67 and over. I filter for female in the household (one or two party) age 70-77.

Rick

I can't argue with the cost. I looked into this last month, and came up with similar figures. The problem is finding a good mailer that I can live with. Most everything I have seen so far is not what I am looking for. With money being tight, I am obviously going to have to compromise on this point. The sample you sent me is the best I have seen yet. I will probably go with it. Thanks again.

Keep in mind that even with response card leads, less than half with pick
up the phone. I just called 25 new response card leads and only got a hold of 8 people.

I noticed around the board that there may be some who don't know the difference between "predictive", "auto-dialers", and "power dialers". It does make a difference, and can have legal implications in regard to telemarketing regulations.

Predictive dialers do just that. While you are on a line with someone, the software predicts when you will be finished and begins dialing the next number. (Actually, it just pushes you to get off the line and get to the next call, in my opinion) If you aren't fast enough, your next prospect gets a slow or silent connection (called a drop out), which by law must be kept below 3%, and you have to prove it if you are investigated.

Auto-dialers begin dialing the next number in your list as soon as you hang up from the last. Still a slave driver, but usually does not result in drop-outs.

Power dialers dial at your command with one click. This saves you from punching a keypad all day, and avoids mis-dialed numbers. Gives you time to collect your thoughts between prospects. This is the one I like and use. The Cheetah that I refer to in earlier posts, has the capabiltity of either auto-dialing or power dialing.

What really makes a "predictive dialer" is the software. The more sophisticated, the more expensive. If you have a big agency, you may need one. I find I can get by with the cheapest setup I was able to find because it fits my bill as a solo telemarketer.

Back