Maybe it will be

However, Do you really think self-driving cars will not be used for sleep-driving watching tv while driving even just plain not paying attention

Honestly, even if you watching the road do you really think the attention span will remain without actually driving the car?

even more so on long trips

Don't forget they want to use this tech for 18 wheelers

Bottom line there will be deaths

Obviously time will tell, but I am thinking less deaths. You think more deaths?

Obviously time will tell, but I am thinking less deaths. You think more deaths?

there are accidents, It's not perfect, But there are plenty of accidents usually won't end up on the front page I don't they want it to be but you will see plenty of small stories on it and there are deaths

they report it more about driver neglect his one was eating pizza that one was playing video games this one was sleeping yada yada I have seen at least a dozen more

And these are only starting to hit the road

They def don't want to make it about the tech though

My point is what do you expect someone to do when behind a self-driving car from periods of time

Now they want to use it for over the road truckers

Can't see it ending well

I mean honestly its a lot harder to pay attention on a long ride if you are not participating in the actions

Maybe it will be

However, Do you really think self-driving cars will not be used for sleep-driving watching tv while driving even just plain not paying attention

Honestly, even if you watching the road do you really think the attention span will remain without actually driving the car?

It's definitely a conundrum. Accidents with autopilot like Telsa, the liability should almost always fall on the operator. The part they had in the article where they contrasted complacency to overreliance is B.S. You get in that vehicle with experimental features, you assume the risk of those features going wrong.

On the other hand, you have the autonomous vehicles. I don't know if this is still the case, but with the google cars, only one accident so far has been found to be at fault of the google car. In a world full of perfect, autonomous cars there will be no accidents (or traffic) because the vehicles will be constantly communicating. I don't reckon this will ever happen, but it's cool to think about it.

Even so, I think the liability should fall on the owner of the self-driving vehicle, not the manufacturer. Premiums would probably be a lot lower for them, as the factor of human error is gone. But if you hold the manufacturers accountable just because the person isn't driving, then prices on those vehicles are going to be ridiculous. Obviously, major manufacturer defects will fall on the manufacturers, but beyond that I think it's better to keep the liability in the hands of the owners.

Who knows, maybe some day the tech will advance so much that we won't need liability insurance.

Maybe it will be

Yes. But understand that our grandkids will probably never drive a car.

This is happening and the tech will get better.

Orville Wright almost died in a plane crash (and his passenger did). It will happen and that's unfortunate but in 20-30 years, I can't see many people manually driving at all.

Yes. But understand that our grandkids will probably never drive a car.

This is happening and the tech will get better.

Orville Wright almost died in a plane crash (and his passenger did). It will happen and that's unfortunate but in 20-30 years, I can't see many people manually driving at all.

Orval write wasn't running hundreds of 80 ton vehicles on the same roads as families with kids and grandmas

Yes 20 or 30 years but what about in between

But Ok I will just leave it at that I certainly won't change it anyway

Orval write wasn't running hundreds of 80 ton vehicles on the same roads as families with kids and grandmas

Yes 20 or 30 years but what about in between

But Ok I will just leave it at that I certainly won't change it anyway

I would say even right now that a self driving vehicle with no operator is a lot safer than the average driver. Yes, it poses the threat of killing someone and will kill people, but if it's a safer alternative then why not use it?

there are accidents, It's not perfect, But there are plenty of accidents usually won't end up on the front page I don't they want it to be but you will see plenty of small stories on it and there are deaths

they report it more about driver neglect his one was eating pizza that one was playing video games this one was sleeping yada yada I have seen at least a dozen more

And these are only starting to hit the road

They def don't want to make it about the tech though

My point is what do you expect someone to do when behind a self-driving car from periods of time

Now they want to use it for over the road truckers

Can't see it ending well

I mean honestly its a lot harder to pay attention on a long ride if you are not participating in the actions

Well, I think what is going to happen is that it will get implemented first for long haul truckers for just on the freeways and highways, then the load will get transferred to "last mile" human truckers, or whatever they call them. I think we will actually see accidents go down. Maybe up a little at first. That's just what I think. I could be wrong. We're definitely going to find out. Usually technology is one step back, two steps forward.

Last edited:
Our leaders don't use what they try to force us to use. From the President on down.

If I am on the road whether it is for work or pleasure I want to I want to pee. Pump and split in 15 minutes.

Back