Christians aren't getting ridiculed for doing Christ-like things like opening soup kitchens or turning the other cheek,

Right. That they do those things is pretty much ignored completely.

they're getting ridiculed for weird neo-evangelical behavior. The Puritans had a scholarly tradition (see: Harvard, Yale). They were concerned with God and nature, God and pursuits of the mind, God and present times. Today's evangelical Christians are anti-intellectual, concerned with winning over converts and the notion that the end times are right around the corner.

They're ridiculed (mostly) by people exhibiting neo-evangelical behavior.

In this very post, there's a guy saying there are 3 sexes. That's every bit as anti-intellectual as saying the Earth is flat.

We're told "woman" is now a meaningless word that vaguely refers to sexist stereotypes.

We're told the way to fight racism is to teach people to hyper-focus on race.

We're told that if we don't radically change society in a way that will lead to mass poverty and death, "the end times are right around the corner."

You're not the intellectuals. At all.

Society doesn't think Christians are evil for having those beliefs. They're evil for committing acts of violence against people that don't share those beliefs.

Considering ~0% of Christians have committed such acts of violence, WHO are you ridiculing? Are you also ridiculing the people who committed mass acts of political violence in 2020? Or do you not ridicule fellow church members?

In this very post, there's a guy saying there are 3 sexes. That's every bit as anti-intellectual as saying the Earth is flat.

We're told "woman" is now a meaningless word that vaguely refers to sexist stereotypes.

We're told that if we don't radically change society in a way that will lead to mass poverty and death, "the end times are right around the corner."

Considering ~0% of Christians have committed such acts of violence, WHO are you ridiculing? Are you also ridiculing the people who committed mass acts of political violence in 2020? Or do you not ridicule fellow church members?

Men can get pregnant bro. LOL what a ***ing retard.

Men can get pregnant bro. LOL what a ***ing retard.

Idiocracy. It's happening. If you haven't seen the movie, you should.

images

I had a feeling that post might summon you, @whatyouwantfinally

I sincerely appreciate your responses. They're higher caliber than typical social media banter. It's like I'm in the hot seat with Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity. It is—in part—refreshing on an internet rife with echo chambers.

I hope you can recognize I'm not some shrieking Twitter banshee. I may subscribe to secular humanism & materialism, but I don't view every aspect of our society through lenses of oppression. I may have been a troll here a year ago, but trolling has run its course. I want to gain understanding from the "other side" as America continues to polarize itself.

This is a bit deflective. Who is saying woman is a meaningless word? Muddled, maybe. But language is fluid and the majority of the world is still trying to figure out the ancient (but now in the spotlight) concept of transsexualism. Transmisogyny isn't helping anything. Should people be allowed to joke about the trans community? I can see harm resulting from jokes, but I think it's part of that process of figuring it out.

Either way, the attention given to reproductive organs is odd. I get that it's simpler to batch everyone into a binary model. And sure, the Y chromosome is definitely a determining factor in the binary model, but sex chromosomes are more complicated than that. "3 sexes" probably isn't the right wording, but there are hermaphrodites, XXYs, XXXs, etc.

And just to toss back the whataboutism...::cough:: Young Earth Creationists ::cough cough::

We've been hyper-focused on race in America for a long, long time. And our society is heading towards mass poverty and death as it stands. Maybe not apocalyptic levels, maybe not for a while. It's heading there though.

I see what you're saying, but it's nothing new. I'm not under the impression that climate change will lead us to extinction in the next decade, or that our country will fall to fascism by this time in 2025, but these are arguably different views of "end times" than literal belief in Revelation. For those who consider the Bible inerrable, we are powerless to change the schedule of the end of days. But we've adapted throughout history to prolong the survival of our species.

I'm ridiculing terroristic pro-lifers. For most of them, that belief is rooted in myopic religious upbringing/religious zeal. (A part of the "other side" I don't need to gain an understanding of because I've been around them my entire life). For some, it's conspiracy theory brain worms. I'll ridicule anyone committing mass acts of violence.

I had a feeling that post might summon you, @whatyouwantfinally

I sincerely appreciate your responses. They're higher caliber than typical social media banter. It's like I'm in the hot seat with Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity. It is—in part—refreshing on an internet rife with echo chambers.

I hope you can recognize I'm not some shrieking Twitter banshee. I may subscribe to secular humanism & materialism, but I don't view every aspect of our society through lenses of oppression. I may have been a troll here a year ago, but trolling has run its course. I want to gain understanding from the "other side" as America continues to polarize itself.

I appreciate that, really. I'm not a Christian or a conservative either. I know my abrasiveness when discussing certain things does give that impression, I'm working on it.

This is a bit deflective. Who is saying woman is a meaningless word?

Every person who has bought into gender ideology is. Which is why it all falls down with a simple question like, "What is a woman?" There is no non-circular or concrete answer from that perspective.

Muddled, maybe. But language is fluid and the majority of the world is still trying to figure out the ancient (but now in the spotlight) concept of transsexualism.

Language is fluid but words still have to mean something. And it's not really an ancient concept in its current form. The idea of separating gender from sex is modern (postmodern to be precise). Earlier incarnations were more along the lines of stereotyping, like when unathletic boys were "sissies."

Transmisogyny isn't helping anything. Should people be allowed to joke about the trans community? I can see harm resulting from jokes, but I think it's part of that process of figuring it out.

To me, the answer to "Should people be allowed to joke about X?" is always yes, no matter what X is. There is a difference between legitimate attempts at humor and just being mean, which is where the disagreements come, but I strongly feel both MUST be allowed.

Either way, the attention given to reproductive organs is odd. I get that it's simpler to batch everyone into a binary model. And sure, the Y chromosome is definitely a determining factor in the binary model, but sex chromosomes are more complicated than that. "3 sexes" probably isn't the right wording, but there are hermaphrodites, XXYs, XXXs, etc.

This is where it gets frustrating to me, because what you're saying is 100% inconsistent with biology and ideologically driven (though most people on both sides don't know enough to understand why). The focus on reproductive organs is due to the fact that reproduction is what sexes are about; it's why we have them.

There are 2 sexes, 2 types of gametes, 2 paths of development a human can go down toward gamete production. While almost all intersex people are either male/female, there are a (tiny) % of people who have strayed between both paths during development and can't be said be in either the male or female category, and that's fine. It doesn't mean there's a 3rd sex; that would require the existence of a 3rd gamete that can play a role in reproduction.

Gender ideologists have pointed to this tiny % of people who are "neither" to cloud the issue, with some success because it's something very few people will ever take the time to understand well enough to catch. That's why even intelligent people like Travis will say things like "There are 3 sexes."

And just to toss back the whataboutism...::cough:: Young Earth Creationists ::cough cough::

When you're right you're right. It's important to understand, though, that gender ideology and Young Earth Creationism are on equal footing intellectually.

We've been hyper-focused on race in America for a long, long time. And our society is heading towards mass poverty and death as it stands. Maybe not apocalyptic levels, maybe not for a while. It's heading there though.

No, we haven't. The focus on race in mentions in the media, school, casual conversation, actual policy, etc. has undeniably skyrocketed. Intentionally. But that's a rant for another time.

And we weren't spiraling to disaster until recently, either. Also for another time.

I see what you're saying, but it's nothing new. I'm not under the impression that climate change will lead us to extinction in the next decade, or that our country will fall to fascism by this time in 2025, but these are arguably different views of "end times" than literal belief in Revelation. For those who consider the Bible inerrable, we are powerless to change the schedule of the end of days. But we've adapted throughout history to prolong the survival of our species.

To Marxists, a specific future is also inevitable. It's every bit a religion. A fundamentally more dangerous one because it projects the function of God onto man. There is no "Leave it in God's hands" for Marxists.

I'm ridiculing terroristic pro-lifers. For most of them, that belief is rooted in myopic religious upbringing/religious zeal. (A part of the "other side" I don't need to gain an understanding of because I've been around them my entire life). For some, it's conspiracy theory brain worms. I'll ridicule anyone committing mass acts of violence.

You're right about them. I'd just like you to see that the opposite extreme is a mirrored reflection and a much bigger concern, as their power/influence dwarfs that of Christian extremists.

Last edited:
Back