Interesting framing. I don't celebrate abortions but abortions will happen. At least PP provides a safer way.

I might be using broad strokes here, but the pro-life crowd is predominantly concerned with unborn fetuses with little to no interest in the context, causes, and circumstances that drive a woman to choose abortion. Nor is there any interest in ensuring an unwanted child has a quality life (or for that matter a life. period.) post-birth.

"But TheMedicareWizard, all life is worth saving!"

Why yes it is. How about we start with those who've experienced a little life outside the womb? Maybe then we can try to save all of it.

Again, I'm not a conservative (and I'm pro choice to an extent). But you need to get past thinking like this.

They DO care about children having quality lives and the circumstances that lead women to choose abortion. Very much. They just disagree with you about the solutions.

If you really want to understand the "other side", start with that.

Again, I'm not a conservative (and I'm pro choice to an extent). But you need to get past thinking like this.

They DO care about children having quality lives and the circumstances that lead women to choose abortion. Very much. They just disagree with you about the solutions.

Well said. It makes you wonder if the people spewing the “conservatives don’t care after the baby is born” narrative personally know any conservatives. I mean, breaking bread with any and having meaningful conversations.

I have several friends with very different political and world views than my own. We truly listen to each other and try to understand one another. I love when we are able to get beyond “talking points”. So few in our society truly put in the effort. We’ve all seen the polls when people are asked if they’d be friends with someone of the opposite political persuasion. There’s one side who overwhelmingly won’t be friends with the other.

I have several friends with very different political and world views than my own. We truly listen to each other and try to understand one another. I love when we are able to get beyond “talking points”. So few in our society truly put in the effort. We’ve all seen the polls when people are asked if they’d be friends with someone of the opposite political persuasion. There’s one side who overwhelmingly won’t be friends with the other.

Same.

I was at a friend's house this morning. We hugged hello, laughed, talked about a Vet's org we both belong to, about kids and we talked about girls. She happens to be a Lesbian. I tell her I think I may identify as a lesbian also as she like .... and I like .... I do not know how she votes, I really don't care. She is a great person. Many of the Vets were Trump supporters. However, none of that matters to us. We are friends first. We did lose some buddies that got triggered very easily. Politics were more important than us.

That's fair. I'm just unclear on what their solutions are. Seems like a lot more energy is devoted to overturning Roe v Wade than say, for example, limiting investment firms from buying entire neighborhoods of single family homes. Would say there's a sentiment of "don't get pregnant unless you can afford it?" Is it wholly about personal responsibility?

That's fair. I'm just unclear on what their solutions are. Seems like a lot more energy is devoted to overturning Roe v Wade than say, for example, limiting investment firms from buying entire neighborhoods of single family homes. Would say there's a sentiment of "don't get pregnant unless you can afford it?" Is it wholly about personal responsibility?

Which party is in charge of the House, Senate and White House? What are they currently doing to limit investment firms from buying entire neighborhoods of single family homes?

Well said. It makes you wonder if the people spewing the “conservatives don’t care after the baby is born” narrative personally know any conservatives. I mean, breaking bread with any and having meaningful conversations.

I personally know a lot of conservatives. Some of them are my childhood friends I've known since pre-k. This may come as a surprise, but even TheMedicareWizard voted for Trump in 2016 after lengthy discussions with those friends. (And let's be honest, it was basically a choice between a giant turd and a shit sandwich).

Since then, it's been increasingly difficult to understand them. Conspiracy theories have been a cancer in the GOP and my conservative pals are so mired in conspiratorial thinking I just avoid political discussions with them altogether. I can't take anyone seriously when they sincerely believe the government is being run by satanic pedophiles.

I personally know a lot of conservatives. Some of them are my childhood friends I've known since pre-k. This may come as a surprise, but even TheMedicareWizard voted for Trump in 2016 after lengthy discussions with those friends. (And let's be honest, it was basically a choice between a giant turd and a shit sandwich).

Since then, it's been increasingly difficult to understand them. Conspiracy theories have been a cancer in the GOP and my conservative pals are so mired in conspiratorial thinking I just avoid political discussions with them altogether. I can't take anyone seriously when they sincerely believe the government is being run by satanic pedophiles.

Might I suggest you broaden your search for some new conservative friends. Just because the handful you know are prone to giving in to conspiracy theories, the majority don't think that way.

And are we to judge an entire group based off of the thoughts and actions of a few? I can show you some crazy a$$ liberals. Fortunately I'm an adult who can think critically and realize the handful of crazies don't represent the entire group. However, I personally feel that the handful of crazies is getting larger.

Which party is in charge of the House, Senate and White House? What are they currently doing to limit investment firms from buying entire neighborhoods of single family homes?

To be clear, when I'm talking about "sides," I'm not just talking about Democrats and Republicans. They're slightly different flavors of the same oligarchy. Even then, having the slight majority in the three branches isn't doing much for what their constituents want them to do when they've got senators like Manchin and Sinema.

Might I suggest you broaden your search for some new conservative friends. Just because the handful you know are prone to giving in to conspiracy theories, the majority don't think that way.

And are we to judge an entire group based off of the thoughts and actions of a few? I can show you some crazy a$$ liberals. Fortunately I'm an adult who can think critically and realize the handful of crazies don't represent the entire group. However, I personally feel that the handful of crazies is getting larger.

Uh, there's a few crazies that do represent the entire group. They're the purveyors of craziness. I'd love to meet a conservative that doesn't believe Trump's loss in 2020 was illegitimate.

Did it really take me saying that for it to be clear to you? You'd honestly never even considered that?

Yes, personal responsibility trumps "systemic" solutions on the majority of such issues. Not even for moral reasons, but because that's what works.

Democrats aren't doing anything about housing either. If anything, they're WORSE on that issue because so many are in love with regulations that keep housing from being built.

Back