The Continuing Saga Of CLASS

Of course the CLASS Act benefits will vary according to the amount of ADL's someone needs assistance with. That's very clear in the legislation. I thought you said you read it.

The law says that they can have six different benefit payment levels--my example only has 4.

The liberals want a very rich gov't program. Kennedy and his comrades thought that they could get $75 of daily benefit for about $50 per month. They were way off. The only reason everyone says "it's unsustainable" is because they are trying to make the benefits too rich.

My example fixes that.

If they'd gut the benefits as I've described in this example, the program would be sustainable. But, it wouldn't fulfill their agenda of having a big gov't program.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that HHS will be closing down the CLASS office tomorrow. Bob Yee, the CLASS office actuary is leaving and the office is shutting down.

"Is that because it shuts down every Friday at 4:30 and then re-opens the following Monday? Mr Yee probably spends the weekends with his family....as opposed to watching the office".

Good point Herman, BUT.......................

Look at who submitted this post. If true, it will make for a very sad weekend for NADM.

"Is that because it shuts down every Friday at 4:30 and then re-opens the following Monday? Mr Yee probably spends the weekends with his family....as opposed to watching the office".

Good point Herman, BUT.......................

Look at who submitted this post. If true, it will make for a very sad weekend for NADM.

if it's true, i'll be disappointed...

It's all over the place........

Republicans Circulate Memo Saying HHS Closing CLASS Office - Meghan McCarthy - NationalJournal.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Wall Street Journal​
[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]September 22, 2011, 12:57 PM ET[/FONT]​

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Long-Term Care Program in Jeopardy[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]The top actuary for the health overhaul law’s long-term care insurance program lost his job recently, sparking concerns that the program is in jeopardy.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Bob Yee, chief actuary for the Health and Human Services office that administers what is known as the CLASS Act, told The Wall Street Journal on Thursday that the office was being disbanded effective Friday. He said officials informed him last week that his services were no longer needed, and that the remainder of the eight-person office is likely being reassigned to other jobs.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]“My understanding is they’re slowing down the development” of the program, Mr. Yee said in an interview on his last day in the office. “They’re taking a pause and reducing the amount of work being done.”[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]In a statement, HHS denied that the office was officially closing but confirmed it’s not certain the program will go forward.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]“While the staff of the CLASS office has been reduced, reports that the CLASS office is closing are not accurate,” the HHS statement said. “We are continuing our analysis of this program. As we have said in the past, it is an open question whether the program will be implemented. A CLASS program will only be implemented if it is fiscally solvent, self-sustaining, and consistent with the statute.”[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]The CLASS Act, enacted as part of President Barack Obama’s 2010 health overhaul, was the brainchild of the late Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy. Workers pay into the insurance program while healthy. If illness or old age makes them unable to take care of daily living needs such as bathing or using the toilet, they would get a payout to help them pay for long-term-care services. The program wasn’t expected to be set up until at least 2012.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Shortly after the law passed, Democrats conceded that the program risked being financially unsound. In February, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the department was considering raising the income requirement for participating in the program and allowing its insurance premiums to be raised over time. Republicans have criticized the program as a budget time bomb whose costs would grow over time.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Mr. Yee was hired in January, when HHS opened the CLASS office, to develop actuarially sound proposals for how much the program should pay out in benefits and take in from premiums, among other things. He said he presented those findings to Kathy Greenlee, an assistant secretary at HHS who administers the CLASS Act.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Mr. Yee said he didn’t know how top brass were characterizing the office reductions, but said: “Clearly, all the people are reassigned, I’m leaving, so there’s nobody else except maybe the head of the office.” He plans to return to San Francisco, and said he’s optimistic about finding another job.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back