The I Love Selling FE "February to Remember" Thread

The advantage of the "Door Knock" vs the phone is having a "Hard Copy" lead in your hand. Mr Customer I am here because you returned this mail piece requesting information about funeral expense programs. Can you see right here....that's your name, correct? and your age is __ correct? Great, do you have a couple minutes now....motion walking in...

The leads started coming in so I decided that this would be my first day in the field focused on FE. I've had 11 lead cards returned and 8 of those had phone number. Of those 8 with a phone number 5 answered and I got 3 appointments. Two of the three appointments had a husband and wife in the household. I was pretty stoked over those three appointments I gotta tell ya. They all seemed like they were glad I called and they were ready to see me. This was starting to look easy.

The first appointment was at a well kept doublewide with two newer cars under the metal carport. They both had insurance and wills and were wanting a brochure to make sure they had not missed anything they needed to do. I tried multiple times to quote against what they had, but the husband was, very nicely and tactfully, having none of that. The wife even suggested she could go get their current policies out of the safe and he shot that down. We talked Medicare a little and I tried to plant some seeds there for the future, but nothing today.

At the second appointment I got met at the door by an older man smoking a cig looking like he'd done a bit too much crack with Lindsey Lohan 5 years ago. He said his wife was too sick today and could he reschedule? We did tentatively reschedule for next Monday, but I'll call first and see what that looks like.

3rd appointment had a lot of FE insurance 3-4 policies! Wow...replacement opportunity...but not. She had secured them all in the 2 yrs after her husband died with no insurance 10 years ago...and since then she'd developed a myriad of health issues herself. She had policies from Lincoln, Trans, AARP/MetLife, and someone else. With all her current issues I looked like Trans was probably the carrier to go with...but the estimate wasn't even competitive. Then I looked at Family Benefit and with all the meds she was on I would have expected a graded policy and even with them the total was only $10 off. I didn't think moving someone with existing policies to graded was a good move so I didn't push it too hard. It could have been (just now thinking of this) that the 1035 exchange amounts could have swung a larger premium difference...but it would have still likely been a no or a graded policy. Oh well. So that was my 3 appointment and then I went to door knocking.

1. Don't remember sending anything in and no interest.
2. Lead with no phone number also had a fence around their house with a remote opener at the driveway, no gate in the fence for walk ups, and a big dog. Maybe I'll write them a follow up letter and let them know I'll quote them if they can find a way for me to get into their castle.
3. Doesn't remember sending anything in, no interest, no job, no income, applying for disability, angry at the world.
4. One car in driveway, but another set of ruts in gravel/mud. Knocked several times no one came to door.

The 11th lead came in off the second mailing in a different area geographically so I'll pick it up when I hit that area.

I got to see some pretty countryside, but other than that it was a pretty crappy start to selling FE.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it seems like the best way to NOT get in a home is setting an appointment. It's weird the number of excuses people can come up with between setting an appointment and refusing to let me in the door the next day but it does happen. And it messes with your head. It makes me start to think either I've been suckered into the worst leads in the world or I'm the worst agent in the world. Then, as indicated previously, you'll have a couple that will just click and suddenly you'll have made a lot of money for the week. Then I have to rearrange my head because this doesn't suck after all. Lol.

I also am new, and have learned a lot from some of the greats that you've mentioned, and I'm only a few weeks ahead of you, but my encouragement would be to remember that you're not convincing, you're just sorting. When it comes to FE, there's plenty of losers, and that's exactly how I look at them in my mind. If they set an appt and then blow me off at the door, they're a loser and I don't have time for them anyway. You won't see me trying to convince them of anything. I have other people who need my help.

The lady I helped yesterday is a good example. She's living on $700 a month and at 85 wants to pay $100 a month for life insurance because she loves her family. The trick is spending as LITTLE time as possible with the losers so you have your time and energy left over to spend with those who are serious about taking care of this.

Even being brand new like you (and I) are, there seems to be enough low hanging fruit to make a good living. It's the easiest sale I've ever made. It's just a head game pushing through all the deadbeats. You'll do great, just keep your activity up.

even being brand new like you (and I) are, there seems to be enough low hanging fruit to make a good living. It's the easiest sale I've ever made. It's just a head game pushing through all the deadbeats. You'll do great, just keep your activity up.

Thanks for the encouragement!

In the last week I've had more leads show up from my first mailing. From that first mailing of 2091 pieces I've had 20 total reply cards for a rate of .95% (that's 95% of 1%). I am letting the leads build up all week and then calling on the weekend. I had 11 leads last week so the 9 for this week makes 20 (maybe I should have just waited a week before starting to call at all? Who knows...I don't think it would make any difference).

Of the 9 new leads for this week 4 either had no phone numbers or non-working numbers. So those are obviously for door knocking. I don't know if this is normal, but of the 9 leads fully 7 of them were under the age of 65. Is that normal?

Of the 5 with phone numbers I only got three answers and 1 appointment. From the Video's I've watched my calls go something like this,

Me: "Hello Ms So and So"
Yes: Yes, (who are you calling a so and so?)
Me: This is Andrew Bennett and I'm calling because you send in a card requesting information on funeral benefits. I am the agent who handles (insert county name) and I'll be in the area tomorrow. Can I come by and see you around (whatever) o'clock?

The one appointment I got was putting me off and indicating they didn't want to meet so I pressed a bit and asked them what they were thinking when they sent in the card. It turns out a brother had died recently and that's what had them thinking about it.

Because so many of the lead cards were for people who are under 65 I was thinking of going out later in the afternoon to door knock (thinking some may still be working...course they could all be on disability and just be sitting there waiting for a visitor). Is that a good strategy or should I just go on out in the morning?

Well, I'm doing something wrong. I've read or seen interviews with people were some say they call to set appointments on Saturday some on Sunday. I'm calling today (Sunday) and not getting crap for appointments. I've started getting in cards from my second mail drop. I'll be calling them tomorrow. I'm probably going to go from trying to work them in batches to work them as they come in. It's getting to be a little nerve wracking though. I've spent around $4-5000 on direct mail. The return rate is decent...but I'm not getting appointments and sales. Which is a little nerve wracking as I don't have $4-5000 to spend and not sell anything.

I think I need to call more often as there's a good number I'm just not reaching. In addition I probably need to do some evening door knocking...especially with the ones that show they are under 65.

Well, I'm doing something wrong. I've read or seen interviews with people were some say they call to set appointments on Saturday some on Sunday. I'm calling today (Sunday) and not getting crap for appointments. I've started getting in cards from my second mail drop. I'll be calling them tomorrow. I'm probably going to go from trying to work them in batches to work them as they come in. It's getting to be a little nerve wracking though. I've spent around $4-5000 on direct mail. The return rate is decent...but I'm not getting appointments and sales. Which is a little nerve wracking as I don't have $4-5000 to spend and not sell anything.

I think I need to call more often as there's a good number I'm just not reaching. In addition I probably need to do some evening door knocking...especially with the ones that show they are under 65.
Could be that since you are in the Buckle of the Bible Belt people are not receptive to a call on Sunday.. I know I absolutely refuse to talk to a telemarketer on Sunday... Perhaps you will do better on another day? :unsure:

Perhaps, but even though I am in the buckle, there's a lotta churches that just don't meet on Sunday night anymore.

Back