The I Love Selling FE "February to Remember" Thread

Well, I'm doing something wrong. I've read or seen interviews with people were some say they call to set appointments on Saturday some on Sunday. I'm calling today (Sunday) and not getting crap for appointments. I've started getting in cards from my second mail drop. I'll be calling them tomorrow. I'm probably going to go from trying to work them in batches to work them as they come in. It's getting to be a little nerve wracking though. I've spent around $4-5000 on direct mail. The return rate is decent...but I'm not getting appointments and sales. Which is a little nerve wracking as I don't have $4-5000 to spend and not sell anything.

I think I need to call more often as there's a good number I'm just not reaching. In addition I probably need to do some evening door knocking...especially with the ones that show they are under 65.

Ask your upline for help. role play with them, have them listen to you call. I found it much easier to get in front of people by strictly door knocking my leads starting out.

Perhaps, but even though I am in the buckle, there's a lotta churches that just don't meet on Sunday night anymore.
True.. even the church where I am no longer has a Sunday Night Service... But it is not a matter of the not being home, it is a matter that many still think of Sunday as a day of rest and don't want to be disturbed in their home.. Others don't want to do business on Sunday (unless it is at the restaurant or Wal-Mart)... Don't know what part of TN you are in but I am in East TN and things that work in other places don't necessarily work in this area..

It sounds like you are just starting out correct? forget calling, set up a route, go out and beat those doors down. If they can't see you, then set the apt to go back( no 1 leggers) . It is better that you develop the skills at the door `1st and then start calling. " the guy who can knocks doors can not fail".

Yesterday I went out and knocked doors. I had one pre-set appointment (I was actually late for). It was the same one who I mentioned previously that had put me off on two different appointments. I got in, quoted him and his wife. They agreed to the premiums, but I still couldn't seal the deal. First off, they said they couldn't give me a check (they want to pay quarterly) till the beginning of the month. I know from reading some other threads this is sometimes an issue. I'm not sure how to overcome that so if you know please chime in.

The other issue was that the wife needs a guaranteed issue policy. I am set up with AIG, but only just and don't have paper apps yet. This couple had no email so I couldn't do an e-app. Hopefully, I'll close that at the beginning of the month.

I met with another guy who, I again, failed to close. His deal is that he wanted to nail down his funeral costs and doesn't want a dime more insurance than he needs to put himself in the ground. I'll be following up with him both on his auto insurance and this FE policy. Because he wants to go to a local funeral home and nail down costs my guess is they will make some play at a "discount" if they take the policy out with him. I really don't know much about how funeral homes prices and sell.

I ended the day with a health insurance appointment with an old client that I won't make any money of off. They went with BlueCross and they don't pay commission in TN. The guy needed help though so I felt good about it. He's bedridden and was in tears when he found out he was able to get coverage.

As far as the FE business goes I think yesterday helped me understand it a lot. I need to get more familiar with my carriers and have all my paper apps ready. That will come with time and UPS. It actually felt a lot like open enrollment to me. Running around from home to home and meeting with people. There will be more rejection with FE than I have had with health or Medicare, but that's because so much of that business was referral driven. A referral sale is super easy. I'm just gonna have to relearn how to flex my closing muscles a little and pound the pavement.

The next two weeks will be revealing as to whether it's gonna work for me.

Yesterday I went out and knocked doors. I had one pre-set appointment (I was actually late for). It was the same one who I mentioned previously that had put me off on two different appointments. I got in, quoted him and his wife. They agreed to the premiums, but I still couldn't seal the deal. First off, they said they couldn't give me a check (they want to pay quarterly) till the beginning of the month. I know from reading some other threads this is sometimes an issue. I'm not sure how to overcome that so if you know please chime in.

The other issue was that the wife needs a guaranteed issue policy. I am set up with AIG, but only just and don't have paper apps yet. This couple had no email so I couldn't do an e-app. Hopefully, I'll close that at the beginning of the month.

I met with another guy who, I again, failed to close. His deal is that he wanted to nail down his funeral costs and doesn't want a dime more insurance than he needs to put himself in the ground. I'll be following up with him both on his auto insurance and this FE policy. Because he wants to go to a local funeral home and nail down costs my guess is they will make some play at a "discount" if they take the policy out with him. I really don't know much about how funeral homes prices and sell.

I ended the day with a health insurance appointment with an old client that I won't make any money of off. They went with BlueCross and they don't pay commission in TN. The guy needed help though so I felt good about it. He's bedridden and was in tears when he found out he was able to get coverage.

As far as the FE business goes I think yesterday helped me understand it a lot. I need to get more familiar with my carriers and have all my paper apps ready. That will come with time and UPS. It actually felt a lot like open enrollment to me. Running around from home to home and meeting with people. There will be more rejection with FE than I have had with health or Medicare, but that's because so much of that business was referral driven. A referral sale is super easy. I'm just gonna have to relearn how to flex my closing muscles a little and pound the pavement.

As for the couple wanting to pay quarterly, I used to just ask the clients if it is a possibility to end up in the hospital for an extended stay? Of course they always reply "yes". At that point, I will point out to them that the bill could just sit unpaid while they are in the hospital and would lapse. Or, what if, Ms. Jones, you developed Alzheimer's or dementia? The very same thing could happen. They usually agree to have it come out of their checking at that point.

Of course, you are dealing with two people at once, so they might think that one of them would still be able to take care of it. Just ask them if they have every heard of a husband and wife both in the hospital at the same time?

As for the couple wanting to pay quarterly, I used to just ask the clients if it is a possibility to end up in the hospital for an extended stay? Of course they always reply "yes". At that point, I will point out to them that the bill could just sit unpaid while they are in the hospital and would lapse. Or, what if, Ms. Jones, you developed Alzheimer's or dementia? The very same thing could happen. They usually agree to have it come out of their checking at that point.

Of course, you are dealing with two people at once, so they might think that one of them would still be able to take care of it. Just ask them if they have every heard of a husband and wife both in the hospital at the same time?

I don't think the couple were objecting to bank draft, they were having to wait till the 1st or 3rd of the upcoming month to pay the 1st premium.

Don't your carriers allow the agents to set up bank draft using only the routing # and account #? The customer make be out of checks, doesn't write checks, or is using a savings account which of course doesn't use checks.

Here's a sales tip for you and others when dealing with this situation......

After Ms. Jones picks a plan NEVER ask Ms. Jones when she wants to start her plan because they always say wait till the 1st of next month, even if I'm talking to them on the 4th, the day after they received their check.

If I'm talking to Ms. Jones on say Feb 19th, and she gets her check on the 3rd, I'll TELL her, (NOT ask her) they'll send this to your bank tomorrow for you, that's what they do for everyone else.

If Ms. Jones gives resistance and says she'll just have to wait till March 3rd because she doesn't have the $$$, I'll as her can't she get the $$$ in her account in a couple of days? Sometimes they say yes and sometimes they say no. If they say yes I'm home free.

If they say no I'll say no problem. I'll look down at my ipad as if I'm getting ready to finish her application and then I'll look up and with a smile I'll say "Ms. Mary I just realized you can get a couple of weeks for free! Want me to show you how"? They always say yes show me.

So I'll say "Well Mary, one of the great things about these state regulated plans is they never ever bill you twice in a 30 day period. It doesn't always work out this way for everyone but it does work out here for you. You see, If they can send the payment to your bank in 2 days, payment #2 won't be on March 3rd in a couple of weeks, that's just too soon. What they do is they'll skip right over March 3rd, and payment #2 won't be till April 3rd! That way you'll be getting a couple of weeks for free and your plan starts a couple of weeks quicker......in case something unexpected happens to you. Sounds pretty good doesn't it? If they say yes then I'm home free.

If they say they still can't do it till March 3rd then I'll write them a plan that starts on March 3rd and know that at least this is better than nothing. Lots of times when the prospects say they don't have the $$$ to start a plan right now they're lying. I've been selling ONLY FE for 20 straight years.

Try this and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The other guy who didn't want a dime more insurance than he needed for his funeral expenses could have probably been closed if you could have shown him the Legacy Assurance plan. That allows the customer to get their casket, vault, and monument locked in for $3500 (it's about $5k-8k at the local funeral home); and it'll always stay $3500 even if he lives 50 or more years.

Good luck!

Do you bring a laptop with you? You could have had her sign her AIG app on your laptop while you were there - no need to email.

I just got my GWLI number from AIG and wasn't real familiar with their system. I did spend some time on their site tonight.

Back