There Goes Low Deductible Union Health Plans!

Yeah.. I wonder what would happen if a company decided to pay a higher wage to non union members?

They might. Then the union might go out on strike to get the same or better. I guess then it would depend on how many joined the union or stood with the union.

Or they could "forget" to increase the wages of non-union employees whenever the union employees get a raise.

There are any number of ways it could play out. Even if you could break it down to use game theory on it, I still don't think you could anticipate the eventual outcome.

Public service unions are about the only ones with clout. They are also bankrupting the public sector with their defined benefit pension plans.

They complain about low wages, and I do believe many of them (first responders) are way underpaid. Teachers too. But the rich benefits, especially retirement, more than offsets their weekly paycheck.

They will never see benefits like that in the private sector.

Yeah.. I wonder what would happen if a company decided to pay a higher wage to non union members?
When I was just out of High School I worked at Humko(they made shortening and vegetable oil). Their factory was right next door to a Kraft plant. Kraft owned Humko at that time. To work at Humko, you had to join the crooked Teamster's Union. Kraft wasn't union and they paid a LOT better and had better benefits. They didn't want the union in there.

Kraft wasn't union and they paid a LOT better and had better benefits.

Delta did something similar for a long time. They were the largest non-union airline in the country.

That changed as they acquired other airlines, notably Northwest.

I believe their pilots are the only union members. All other employees are non-union.

When I was just out of High School I worked at Humko(they made shortening and vegetable oil). Their factory was right next door to a Kraft plant. Kraft owned Humko at that time. To work at Humko, you had to join the crooked Teamster's Union. Kraft wasn't union and they paid a LOT better and had better benefits. They didn't want the union in there.
Hey.. Go back to the monkey, monkey! :eek:

But don't try to mislead me as to why you are fighting this fight.

I see these issues one and the same - nobody wants their dollars supporting
They might. Then the union might go out on strike to get the same or better. I guess then it would depend on how many joined the union or stood with the union.

Or they could "forget" to increase the wages of non-union employees whenever the union employees get a raise.

There are any number of ways it could play out. Even if you could break it down to use game theory on it, I still don't think you could anticipate the eventual outcome.

I know here, the jobs would be filled immediately - no one would be standing with the union (including fellow unioners imo)..

Delta did something similar for a long time. They were the largest non-union airline in the country.

That changed as they acquired other airlines, notably Northwest.

I believe their pilots are the only union members. All other employees are non-union.
I know that long ago, there was a need for unions. I think they just make the price of everything go up. I'm not pro union. I've been in 2 of them.

Public service unions are about the only ones with clout. They are also bankrupting the public sector with their defined benefit pension plans.

They complain about low wages, and I do believe many of them (first responders) are way underpaid. Teachers too. But the rich benefits, especially retirement, more than offsets their weekly paycheck.

They will never see benefits like that in the private sector.

If the govt agreed to the pension the emplyee who worked in public safety there whole now shortened by the job life, they are not bankrupting anything.

They should stretch it because you said, the union must maybe not have to represent non-union membersshould non-union members be entitled to some contract terms or benefits negotiated by the union.

Back