This 24-year-old mistakenly thought her health insurance covered her pregnancy—and 4.2 million other

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
This 24-year-old mistakenly thought her health insurance covered her pregnancy—and 4.2 million others like her may be at risk

For years, federal laws have stipulated that employers need to cover maternity care for their employees and their spouses. But there are no laws that specifically state companies have to cover maternity care for adult children because, until the ACA passed in 2009, most employer-based health insurance plans cut off coverage when the children legally became adults or upon college graduation.

The ACA changed the rules, allowing dependent children to stay on their parents’ health insurance plans until the age of 26. The law also blocked insurers from turning away pregnant women and stipulated that maternity care was an “essential health benefit.”

On the surface, it seems like that should have solved everything. But the ACA’s essential health benefit stipulations apply only to individual health-care plans sold through the marketplaces and those offered by small employers (less than 50 employees), which is only a small percentage of plans. The bulk of Americans, 49%, get their health insurance through their employers, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Yet large employer plans (those with more than 50 employees) are not required to comply with the essential health benefit requirements.

Also exempt from these restrictions (unless mandated by the state law) are employers who opt to offer a self-insured (self-funded) health plan, says Julie Stich, vice president of content for the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. These self-insured health plans may be run and handled by an insurance carrier, but the company is ultimately responsible for paying out on claims, instead of paying the insurer a premium.

Hope she is not in Alabama.. Years ago National Savings/Victory Life sold major medical. .the plan plainly stated it did not cover maternity.. al the materials stated that fact. A girl became pregnant, had a normal delivery, filed a claim, the plan did not pay. She sued and the Alabama jury and court awarded her $3 million. Louis Roussel, Jr. owned the company at that time and he instructed that MM sales be suspended and all in force polices be cancelled.. My renewals went from several thousand a month to 0 overnight. :sad:

That sucks, but everyone knows to check with your plan before a major thing such as getting pregnant, getting surgery, tests, etc. It just causes a huge headache, and loss of money in the end when you assume things are covered. I tell consumers to always ask questions about their coverage to make sure it is covered beforehand.

I feel bad for her. Obama sold Obamacare as the end all and be all of health insurance and I know we shouldn't assume anything, but I hardly fault a 24 year old who was 14 or so when Obama was saving health care for all of us for assuming that her pregnancy would be covered. I'm surprised you guys decided to blame the victim in this rather than the guy most of you love to hate. I would bet you most women covered by a health insurance plan that they are paying for (there aren't many family plans out there even through large employers that are costing less than $600 month out of the employees pay, and some are over a thousand. Most are going to assume that the costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth will be covered, at least those in excess of the deductible.

Day Timer said:

Most are going to assume that the costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth will be covered, at least those in excess of the deductible.

I agree with Kenneth82 above, everyone should check with their plan before planning something major like a baby, surgery, etc.

But in this case, she was on her mother's plan. Had it been her own plan through work she could have asked the benefits administrator about costs or her co-workers would have told her about their own experiences.

I don't do group major medical, but at least like to know a little about it and wasn't aware of this loophole myself.

Day Timer said:

Most are going to assume that the costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth will be covered, at least those in excess of the deductible.

I agree with Kenneth82 above, everyone should check with their plan before planning something major like a baby, surgery, etc.

But in this case, she was on her mother's plan. Had it been her own plan through work she could have asked the benefits administrator about costs or her co-workers would have told her about their own experiences.

I don't do group major medical, but at least like to know a little about it and wasn't aware of this loophole myself.
Sorry, but I disagree with your premise about the plan being her mothers. As a dependent she has 1) an ID card and phone number to call and ask, and 2) simply ask her mother.

Back