Trump's health care executive order: Pros & Cons For Agents & Consumers

It sounds like a great opportunity for a forward-looking health insurer, assuming that they can be sure that they won't be punished later by Congress for "not doing it correctly".

Politically speaking, all of us who cried "foul" at Obama's exec orders ought to at least be uncomfortable when Trump does it. Is this the new norm - presidents that do end runs around congress if they don't get their way? I don't like the Executive usurping the Legislative function. No matter how worthy the end may be, it doesn't justify the means!

I agree-ish. On one hand, nothing seems to be able to pass (bills) with the vast majority voting party lines on literally everything, regardless of common sense. On the other... it gets things done like emergency relief, or matters of immediate need or security where congress would take far too long. BUT its SO potentially polarizing and the executive order really wasnt designed to circumvent the legislative process. It has become reported far more and discussed more as of late but its always been there.... I wish it could ALL go through congress, but sadly until there is a line item veto and a legitimate third party I dont see the divisiveness waning anytime soon. Side note... Here is a list of the presidents and their number of executive orders...

Consolidated list by President
# President Total Executive Orders
1 George Washington 8
2 John Adams 1
3 Thomas Jefferson 4
4 James Madison 1
5 James Monroe 1
6 John Quincy Adams 3
7 Andrew Jackson 12
8 Martin Van Buren 10
9 William Henry Harrison 0
10 John Tyler 17
11 James K. Polk 18
12 Zachary Taylor 5
13 Millard Fillmore 12
14 Franklin Pierce 35
15 James Buchanan 16
16 Abraham Lincoln 48
17 Andrew Johnson 79
18 Ulysses S. Grant 217
19 Rutherford B. Hayes 92
20 James A. Garfield 6
21 Chester A. Arthur 96
22 Grover Cleveland - I 113
23 Benjamin Harrison 143
24 Grover Cleveland - II 140
25 William McKinley 185
26 Theodore Roosevelt 1,081
27 William Howard Taft 724
28 Woodrow Wilson 1,803
29 Warren G. Harding 522
30 Calvin Coolidge 1,203
31 Herbert Hoover 968
32 Franklin D. Roosevelt 3,728
33 Harry S. Truman 907
34 Dwight D. Eisenhower 484
35 John F. Kennedy 214
36 Lyndon B. Johnson 325
37 Richard Nixon 346
38 Gerald Ford 169
39 Jimmy Carter 320
40 Ronald Reagan 381
41 George H. W. Bush 166
42 Bill Clinton 364
43 George W. Bush 291
44 Barack Obama 276
45 Donald Trump 49

Looks like other presidents have abused it as well (check out FDR!). But previously, as you indicated, weren't EO's normally used for things like temporary budget extensions, etc. and more innocuous items like declaring National Bowtie Day? Isn't game changing legislation from the White House a relatively new thing?

Looking at FDR... on nearly 4K of them, there must have been one or two game changers... That said, the press used to report what happened and editorial ramblings were largely frowned upon. Now, everyone seems to think they are a valuable pundit and the proliferation of editorialized news being written, reported as fact, tweeted and re-tweeted... who knows whats real anymore and what isn't. To adequately comment, Id have to read em all myself... so yeah, i'll just leave the question of content to someone else. Now I need to get ready for National Bowtie Day.

Politically speaking, all of us who cried "foul" at Obama's exec orders ought to at least be uncomfortable when Trump does it. Is this the new norm - presidents that do end runs around congress if they don't get their way? I don't like the Executive usurping the Legislative function. No matter how worthy the end may be, it doesn't justify the means!

Based on what I have read in the news this morning, there does not appear to be any "usurping" of the legislature. Each of these issues ( short term coverage, association plans, cross state) are not codified in law. Not making a judgement either way.

Back