Trump's health care executive order: Pros & Cons For Agents & Consumers

Politically speaking, all of us who cried "foul" at Obama's exec orders ought to at least be uncomfortable when Trump does it. Is this the new norm - presidents that do end runs around congress if they don't get their way? I don't like the Executive usurping the Legislative function. No matter how worthy the end may be, it doesn't justify the means!

FDR was also President for anyone longer in history, President during the majority of the Great Depression AND the majority of World War II.

I'm sure there were some dozzies in there, but he should have more than anyone else. What I find surprising is how few actually have been issues by more recent Presidents. I believe I found the same table as Badtrout on Wikipedia. It looks like Trump is on pace to issue twice as many in a year as either Bush or Obama. Admittedly we aren't even through his first year, so that may slow.

Well just back to 15 years ago where we visited our groups and employers treated the visits like somebody died when they saw us. We'll be going back to having to cut benefits and pass on increases to employees again. I have to say in my 30 years doing small group, the years under the ACA were some of the best renewal years I had. even had a year where rates dropped. I had only one year like that prior.

The thing is most carriers in my market are now paying a per head fee rather than a percentage of commissions, which they already cut back a while ago. So in my market, I will get no benefit from premium increases. I expect to lose groups because premiums are going to jump again back to the days of 25% a year.
I don't even market for health care because the commission isn't there. I will do referrals because I never want to pass on any type of referral, because I want that person to continue sending them to me. And often other business is to be had in the process.

But at my level Health commissions aren't a big money maker. Haven't been for years.
I know some here are chomping at the bit for association plans. Most of those were kicked out of my state for the crap they did to consumers coverage wise. I know some here are looking forward to these plans coming back. All I can say is pay your E&O premiums and hope they cover you. Cause those plans will be shite again like they were before.

Ahh yes, and I remember the days of 20% commission and $500 deductibles. As for the shite plans your describing LGilmore... I'm hard pressed to look at the plans now with the astronomical deductibles and say they were great. Also, I don't know what is going on up there in Washington, but I certainly don't see the rates in Colorado the same way over the ACA time period. Less choices, more premium, horrible networks... at least for Western Colorado the ACA is the single worst thing that could have happened to the quality and affordability of healthcare period.

I called my local agent to tell him my wife was coming home after the baby and wanted to see if he recommended getting Cobra or..

And before I could say more, he interrupted and said "Yes stay with Cobra."

I kept talking and he said there are only 2 on exchange companies in central In with horrible networks. No off exchange plans at all.

He is eyeing some STM plan with UW that stays in effect for 12 months. Waiting to hear back on that. Cobra is going to be $1600 a month.

Am I right?....If only silver plan premiums would go up and APTC along with it ... that means that subsidized bronze and gold after-APTC-premiums would be lower than before cutting off CSR.

Ding Ding, Pancur is the winner. Yes, more APTC, cheaper bronze. BUT, it will depend on your location, state and other market factors. The press doesn't seem to get it. (both sides)

Am I right?....If only silver plan premiums would go up and APTC along with it ... that means that subsidized bronze and gold after-APTC-premiums would be lower than before cutting off CSR.

Correct. If the rates for the 2nd lowest cost Silver go up, then all APTC in that area goes up. However, it is possible for only the CSR-eligible Silver plans to have rate spikes over this. If that's not the 2nd lowest cost Silver, then APTC won't rise for every person.

I'm reminded that it was easy taking business away from lazy agents when they had let participation drop. Rates went up and all we had to do was quote everyone and make minor plan changes.

We'd hold employer contribution constant without the renewal increase and drop the employee contribution drastically. The advent of HSAs helped too. Even per-HSA, the entire population could be covered for the same total premium as only the old and sick.

*** Face needs to cover everyone instead of pulling the healthy out. There used to be enough loopholes so I could keep family, friends and clients covered with what I considered decent coverage. Now rates are so high that the middle income above subsidy is left out. Not many 2018 options out there.

Back