UHC Over BCBS?

tenchimunyo

Expert
If any of you had to sell a UHC group plan over a comparable BCBS plan even though it was a few dollars more, what would be the number one selling point you would use to make the case for the UHC plan. If at all...that is?

Sorry...BCBS-LA Blue Saver plan. The UHC plan is a Choice Plus Plan. Both have a $2500/$5000 ded. and both have an 80% co-insurance. The BCBS plan has a slightly lower OOP max, though. The UHC plan is a little less expensive, however.

Sorry...BCBS-LA Blue Saver plan. The UHC plan is a Choice Plus Plan. Both have a $2500/$5000 ded. and both have an 80% co-insurance. The BCBS plan has a slightly lower OOP max, though. The UHC plan is a little less expensive, however.
Probably will hinge on which of those two will be most important to the owner of the business. Group health is a commodity product, I'm betting it will be the lower premium.

That's what I'm thinking, but I'd like a little more ammo. I know that BCBS is really a splintered entity, but does the national network of UHC really have anything more attractive to offer the insureds...I mean if they are out of state for any reason?

At that point it's really a value-added situation. Here in IL, the UHC plans for small groups have the EAP and BCBS doesn't. That's a possible selling point. BCBS is easier to deal with for service issues here in IL as well, but not by a long shot. UHC also has a funky medication schedule for some fairly well-known generics.

Otherwise, it's pretty equal, definitely a YMMV situation. And I would stress that to the owner when asking them to make a choice.

Cost vs benefits is always an issue.

UHC is offering a much higher value of wellness benefits and technology.

BCBS has a better drug formulary.

I sell both. My experience is cost usually decides.

Back