United Health Care - Opting Out of Most Exchanges!

I love how the libs try to spin the UHC exit won't affect anything.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands that will be left with one offering.

SW FL, where a good chunk of my book of biz is, only has captive BX FL to choose from now.

United

Counties At Risk

The following counties will be left with only one insurer as a result of UnitedHealthcare’s exit if no other insurer steps in. They are ranked by 2016 exchange enrollment.
State County 2016 Exchange Enrollment
Florida Lee 49,821
Oklahoma Oklahoma 33,945
Florida Collier 28,283
Kansas Johnson* 26,065
Oklahoma Tulsa 25,808
Florida Saint Lucie 25,627
Florida Marion 22,270
North Carolina Forsyth* 21,687
Alabama Mobile* 19,313
North Carolina New Hanover* 17,670
Kansas Sedgwick 16,763
Tennessee Hamilton* 15,805
Florida Alachua 14,826
Florida Leon* 12,296
Florida Hernando 12,035
Florida Martin 11,903
Alabama Baldwin* 11,778
South Carolina Lexington 11,746

*UnitedHealthcare was one of the lowest cost plans in the county.

There are a lot more counties than that in TN (if we are talking about on-exchange plans). Hamilton is just more populated than many of the others.

There are 57 counties (out of 95) that will go to only one on-exchange insurer in TN if (when) UHC leaves and no one new steps up. They are mostly rural and many are already suffering from hospitals closing and a shortage of doctors.

http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-...emiums-and-participation-in-aca-marketplaces/

There are 57 counties (out of 95) that will go to only one on-exchange insurer in TN if (when) UHC leaves and no one new steps up.

I don't know how much power the Tennessee Insurance Commissioner has, but the remaining health insurer will most likely be denied any 2017 rate increase.

Is there any law stating that every county must be served by at least 1 health insurance provider? If not, that sole remaining insurer might very well leave the TN exchange, after its 2017 rate increase request is denied.

Democrats: "Obamacare Fosters Competition!" :laugh: They gotta go! :mad:

AC, there is no reason for any carrier to stay in the game if they do not believe they can get an adequate rate level.

Game over. Next up, Medicaid for all.

I love how the libs try to spin the UHC exit won't affect anything.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands that will be left with one offering.

SW FL, where a good chunk of my book of biz is, only has captive BX FL to choose from now.

United

Counties At Risk

The following counties will be left with only one insurer as a result of UnitedHealthcare’s exit if no other insurer steps in. They are ranked by 2016 exchange enrollment.
State County 2016 Exchange Enrollment
Florida Lee 49,821
Oklahoma Oklahoma 33,945
Florida Collier 28,283
Kansas Johnson* 26,065
Oklahoma Tulsa 25,808
Florida Saint Lucie 25,627
Florida Marion 22,270
North Carolina Forsyth* 21,687
Alabama Mobile* 19,313
North Carolina New Hanover* 17,670
Kansas Sedgwick 16,763
Tennessee Hamilton* 15,805
Florida Alachua 14,826
Florida Leon* 12,296
Florida Hernando 12,035
Florida Martin 11,903
Alabama Baldwin* 11,778
South Carolina Lexington 11,746

*UnitedHealthcare was one of the lowest cost plans in the county.

It's no surprise to both of us but, by next year, the only options outside of Florida Blue will be virtually nil-the only exception might be Sarasota/Manatee where Aetna has a very good HMO network although only for those two counties, and several counties where Humana could could continue their Premier HMO (Orange, Seminole, Osceola) and as well areas like Tampa and South Florida where Humana, Coventry, and Molina offer small HMO networks. That's an awful lot of real estate with a single carrier.

The losses for those carriers will also increase substantially. It's going to be interesting to see what the rates will end up being. I've been checking the FL DOI Rate filings every other day to try and get a glimpse of what may lay ahead.

The "how to" manual of pulling out of the exchange

CMS: Insurers May Encourage Consumers To Leave Exchanges With Them.

Modern Healthcare Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (4/26, Dickson, Subscription Publication) reports CMS has issued guidance which says insurance companies which exit Affordable Care Act marketplaces “can nudge enrollees to follow them but can’t automatically sign them up for off-exchange plans.” The article says this clarification came just days after UnitedHealth announced its departure from 26 state exchanges, and experts believe this move prompted CMS’ action. Chris Sloan, a senior manager at consultancy Avalere Health, said CMS’s announcement “is a departure from prior guidance, which had been designed to keep individuals in the exchanges.”

https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources...nd-Product-Discontinuation-Notices-042116.pdf

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20160426/NEWS/160429955

I don't know how much power the Tennessee Insurance Commissioner has, but the remaining health insurer will most likely be denied any 2017 rate increase.

Is there any law stating that every county must be served by at least 1 health insurance provider? If not, that sole remaining insurer might very well leave the TN exchange, after its 2017 rate increase request is denied.

Democrats: "Obamacare Fosters Competition!" :laugh: They gotta go! :mad:

They don't want to see the worst case scenario of a county without any health insurance options. I would imagine they would work with whatever carriers remain to see that that doesn't happen.

On the consumer side, these large increases don't really affect people who get subsidies anyway (other than the lack of choice). Their prices are held steady by the federal subsidies.

The people really getting the shaft from these huge increases are the 63 and 62 year old married couples who make $64,100 a year. If the rate increases continue, it is rapidly getting to the point where a HDHP is going to cost them 20% of their income.

p.s. and yes, I advise setting up HSAs and talking to an accountant in this situation to get MAGI income down of course.

Last edited:
Back