Using Lawn Signs

When I first went into the insurance business I went with NASE. (This is not about NASE, it's about lawn signs, so we don't have to bash NASE here.)
I got a bunch of signs and stapled them to telephone poles. I got so many calls from them that I was doing 4 to 6 appointments a day, and I was booked more that a week out. After a few months, the calls slowed down and I was looking for new areas to place them. The cops weren't too happy, and in many places, made me take the signs down, but I would make sure that they were up over the weekend.
I am now seeing signs selling insurance for people with diabetes. I don't know if they're working or not.

When I first went into the insurance business I went with NASE. (This is not about NASE, it's about lawn signs, so we don't have to bash NASE here.)
I got a bunch of signs and stapled them to telephone poles. I got so many calls from them that I was doing 4 to 6 appointments a day, and I was booked more that a week out. After a few months, the calls slowed down and I was looking for new areas to place them. The cops weren't too happy, and in many places, made me take the signs down, but I would make sure that they were up over the weekend.
I am now seeing signs selling insurance for people with diabetes. I don't know if they're working or not.

What'd the signs say?

The signs that NASE used read: Finally .... Health Insurance for the Self Employed. Call ...
The one for diabetics read something like: Now ... Life insurance for diabetics.
The NASE signs were much more eye catching and easier to read.
There is a science to placing them, and a way to avoid citations from the townships that don't allow them. The NASE signs were something like a buck apiece, and a real bargain considering the number of inquiries they produced. The ratio of calls to appointments were almost 100%.

I think the success rate of bandit signs is highly dependent on the area you are in, and specifically, how lenient the cities and townships are in allowing signs to exist in their communities despite ordinances outlawing them. One clear sign is if you don't see many or any when driving around your areas of interest, probably means they are pretty aggressive against bandit signs. When I drive aroung my immediate area, I almost never see one. I tried using them a few years ago for a short time when the real estate market was still good for buying and selling investment properties. We would follow the recommended procedure of putting them out on Friday night and then planned to pick them up Sunday evening. Well, after putting them up we would head back home and see that the signs we put up had already been removed. In fact, we had the police arrive at our door (spec house) on a Saturday morning and they told us to take every sign down that was left up, or we would be appearing in court. Bottom line was that we never had any response from the signs we put up because they never stayed up for very long.

I know there are those who say that there are ways to evade the sign police and make it more difficult to take down the signs, such as stappling them high up on a telephone pole, getting an 800 number that can't be traced back to you, etc. I just personally don't want to build a business based on a marketing method that involves evading the police or breaking the law (very minor infraction, I know). No judgement against others who are using this method, just not for me.

Although I never used this method, this worked for some agents I knew who used the signs:
You get a dedicated 800 line for incoming calls. The message should not only ask for the usual info, but also ask what city and state the caller is from. The message tells the caller that a local agent will be contacting them. If the township calls, tell them that you have nothing to do with placing the signs and all you get is the client information from the office. However, if the signs are disturbing, you'll see to it that they are taken down in the next day or 2, and ask the company not to put them up in that area.
It's been well over 10 years since I used signs, but they were an easy and inexpensive way to prospect.

Any advertisement is good advertisement, especially if it is FREE! I say go for it. I have placed advertisements in restaurant bulletin boards and got calls in the past, don't see why lawn signs and telephone polls signs won't work. Best of luck to you!

Here are two signs I saw the other day.

Attachments

• road sign.jpg
    road sign.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 130
  • road sign 2.jpg
    road sign 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 135
Back