Vinyl Siding Melts From Reflected Heat From Nearby Windows.

Here's an article about the phenomenon:

Window Reflections Can Melt Vinyl Siding

My first impression is that this kind of thing happens over a period of time due to prolonged exposure and would not be covered by a homeowners policy due to the exclusion for "wear, tear, marring, and deterioration."

I google and found several remarks about insurance not covering it, but no details, and nothing from the insurance industry.

My question to you folks is: Have you had clients who have had this issue and made claims to their homeowners insurance companies and with what conclusion - denied or paid. If denied, why?

It would help my little survey if you could indicate city and state of these incidents.

Thanks.

This is what I did for my client who's vinyl siding was melted by these bay windows of the house next to him.

I took pictures. I went over to the neighbor and found out who his insurance carrier was. I contacted the insurance company and forced the neighbor's insurance pay the damage and force the neighbor to put a shield or covering on the windows.

My client had to pay zero and had no claims filed on his policy. My client loves me and has referred me to 10 of his friends because I went to bat for him.

The insurance company saw the pictures I sent him, saw that the huge bay windows did indeed cause the damage. That company knew they had to pay. They replaced the siding and the neighbor had a company put a type of shade film on the window that took the glare off of my client's home.

I had the same claim situation with an insured but it was to their own house. The new sliding glass door reflected onto siding and melted the siding. The claim was denied because they said it was a maintenance issue and it happened over time. The insured did purchase the tinting film and applied it to the window. Insured refuses to repair siding, so I am expecting a non renewal:arghh:

In my opinion this only happens with older siding. The new siding should be completely resistant to warping, melting, and any other things damaged with the sun like fading. My new siding I got from conservation construction of texas and it's never done this. it may be time to update your siding, but I understand that it is very expensive.
The reality is that vinyl siding melts at about 160 degrees regardless of age. That is a well-known fact. I also have had a scientific study done on my house proving the damage was caused by the neighbors windows reflecting temperatures over 300 degrees.

The reality is that vinyl siding melts at about 160 degrees regardless of age. That is a well-known fact. I also have had a scientific study done on my house proving the damage was caused by the neighbors windows reflecting temperatures over 300 degrees.

I will take you at your word. It sounds like vinyl siding should be avoided in most Southern states then, particularly out west in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. which get a lot of sun without a lot of grass and other greenery to soak it up and prevent reflections.

A rock garden with the right mix of rock types and angles could easily reflect enough sunlight onto vinyl siding to melt it with such a low melting point.

I will take you at your word. It sounds like vinyl siding should be avoided in most Southern states then, particularly out west in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. which get a lot of sun without a lot of grass and other greenery to soak it up and prevent reflections.

A rock garden with the right mix of rock types and angles could easily reflect enough sunlight onto vinyl siding to melt it with such a low melting point.
A rock garden will never be as dangerous as a low-e window. They are responsible for damaged property and fires all over the country. Energy-efficient windows blamed for starting fires :: WRAL.com 'The next asbestos': Scientist says Low-E windows cause dangerous reflection :: WRAL.com

You miss the point. If the melting point is only 160 degrees Fahrenheit, it wouldn't take much to actually reach that in certain areas.
No, you are missing the point that the windows are incredibly dangerous and the beams from them have reached temperatures of over 500 degrees. There is no comparison to a rock garden. Clearly common sense should prevail in installing vinyl siding. I live in New York and shouldn't be concerned about my siding melting in ordinary use.

Old siding can definitely melt from window reflection. I got new windows from conservation construction of houston. They reflected so much of the sun back out my neighbors siding began to melt.

Yes i belive that's true. I had to get new siding because of my neighbors windows doing this. i got my siding from conservation construction of dallas. It have new siding that looks amazing.

Yes i belive that's true. I had to get new siding because of my neighbors windows doing this. i got my siding from conservation construction of dallas. It have new siding that looks amazing.

Now this is amusing. You are showing Colorado as your state and promoting a construction company in Houston by posting on an insurance forum. (Twice)

Back