VOIP for business phone?

I am getting this installed in about 1 week , they just snaked the wires to my office buildings. The price I contracted on was $20/mo and they are throwing in the "phone system" for no charge, where I can transfer between extensions, and voice mail - I won't need to buy a PBX or SOHO system.

Basic cable is free as well.

I think for 8 lines, 1 is a fax line, unlimited LD, Internet, and basic cable it was around $300/mo

Absolute steal.

I would assume this finally puts to rest the ones who say "Voip is good for calling grandma, but not for business". What a head in the sand comment that was and is!

There is VOIP and there is VOIP.

Vonage is not recommended for business. The caller ID is not functional (partial) and the quality is not that reliable.

VOIP from your phone company or cable company - that is another story and is a different type of VOIP.

Business class VOIP has been used for decades, most people never even knew it.

There is VOIP and there is VOIP.

Vonage is not recommended for business. The caller ID is not functional (partial) and the quality is not that reliable.

VOIP from your phone company or cable company - that is another story and is a different type of VOIP.

Business class VOIP has been used for decades, most people never even knew it.

Exactly Joe... There are many variables with VOIP... I used to hate seeing people post how horrible VOIP was and making broad statements when the person making the post just heard it from someone else.

I actually prefer Analog myself, but have used VOIP with much success. We have mortgage brokers closing 8K commission loans using VOIP in conjuction with our predictive dialer. When using VOIP with our dialer, the biggest advantage is portability.

Good luck with your new system and I look forward to talking to you again soon.

Al D.

With there being different classes of VOIP services. Which ones do you guys think are the best for business use?

Tryan - I would say anything offered through your phone or cable company. If you are looking at Skype / Vonage or just plug into your existing Internet connection - that is an option, but quality is hit or miss.

Tryan - I would say anything offered through your phone or cable company. If you are looking at Skype / Vonage or just plug into your existing Internet connection - that is an option, but quality is hit or miss.

I agree Joe... also, make sure not to get locked into a long term commitment in the beginning. See if the provider offers a "try before you buy" or introductory offer to insure it is a correct fit for you and your business. At worst, make sure there is an "escape clause" if you absolutely must sign a contract.

As a result of an earlier thread, I decided to get away from the cell phone and use a land line for outbound dialing. Since Comcast high speed internet is sucky (at least here), I wasn't about to expand my services with them.

Also, I don't really want to take the time to educate myself on which voip systems are really good, so I went with the local phone company for my analog phone. Since I work from home, it costs $30/mo. Easy, no-hassle, no concerns. Obv. there is no contract.

I asked for an easy-to-remember number because of my developmentally disabled relative, and my new number ends in 00.

I've had zero problems with Ring Central over the last two years or so and have had and seen others have major issues with Vonage. When an agent/friend calls me it says "Vonage Holdings" I always ask him what stock he sells and he gets muddled up a lot, maybe it's his connection but I personally hated them.

I've had zero problems with Ring Central over the last two years or so and have had and seen others have major issues with Vonage. When an agent/friend calls me it says "Vonage Holdings" I always ask him what stock he sells and he gets muddled up a lot, maybe it's his connection but I personally hated them.

I know Ring Central has a digital line service available. Good to hear they do not have any issues since I was thinking about taking them up on their offer of a digital line. Thanks for the info Rob.

I have had vonage at home for two years now. I wen tthrough a phase where calls were cutting out and then the line would be dead for a few minutes. sometimes I would have to restart the modem, router and vonage unit. Then I "upgraded" to Comcast's new, supposedly faster service and haven't had one problem in three months. They did send a tech out here and he removed some connections that I don't use and replaced some cable. My point is - I don't think there was a problem with vonage at all.

The ability to have your number ring several other phones (mobile etc) and have your voicemails emailed to you is great when you're on the road. Also, I went to stay with my parents to help out around the house for a couple weeks and was able to just hook my box up to their high speed cable connection no problem.

Back