Vonage or Magic Jack

I tried both. Magic jack was awful and I also had problems with vonage. When I say problems I mean dropped calls and poor call quality.

i use vonage, no problems, if you do have issues, its usually with the cable carrier,

Define "serious caller".

Both have fair usage clauses that will limit your dialing if you're trying to use it for a lot of outbound calling, in which case you're better off with a dialer.

If you're just looking for a reliable phone connection you're definitely better off with Vonage. Make sure you have a *good* router and a stable internet connection too and you should be golden. There are tons of other options too, but if it was either or, Vonage is a no-brainer.

I haven't tried vonage, but have used Magic Jack. The quality was poor with frequent issues such as echos, noise, etc. I now use Ooma much better and very reliable

Also Magic Jack keeps your credit card info for ever. You cannot delete or remove it.

I used to work for vonage tech support. Despite that I still say they have a good product :err:

Few things to keep in mind:

DONT plug the cord into the phone jack of the home, the wiring messes up the VOIP. Have the box on the MODEM, not the router, in order to prevent firewalls on the router and other issues messing up the quality. You can also mess with the settings to get a higher voice quality.

Don't cheap out on your phone and don't cheap out on the internet. You will probably want a 2-3MB upload connection if possible, especially if other internet applications and computers are running while talking.

Josh did hit the nail on the head though, you need to purchase a BUSINESS account for what you are doing. If vonage thinks you are using a personal for business account (a bunch of outgoing calls and/or large minutes used, people mentioning it while talking with billing support or tech support, etc.) then they will charge you that and I think they have the right to backdate that charge. Just an FYI.

I use Nextiva myself and love the quality. The server is well done and I think not as used as vonage since most people don't know about it. But like RBA said, your internet connection is often the limiting factor. I would consider upgrading it if you can and count that as part of your monthly expense.

I've got 3 people that make calls for me using a dialer, and each of them dials into it with a magicjack. every once in a while they will get the echos, but not too often. still get the echo's occasionally from the landline as well

I've got 3 people that make calls for me using a dialer, and each of them dials into it with a magicjack. every once in a while they will get the echos, but not too often. still get the echo's occasionally from the landline as well

Any reason you don't have then connecting directly with a soft phone?

Back