Vonage or Magic Jack

Had heard of it, but not familiar with it. Need to do some research! Care to give a brief example of how it works?!!

Sure thing. For example, with my dialer folks use a softphone such as 3cx or xlite and what that does is gives you a 100% digital connection to the phone server. When you're running the audio straight to the server you get a much better connection. With Vonage or Magic Jack they're running the audio through lower quality services to save money (which is more or less fine), but it's unnecessary (at least with most dialers). Feel free to shoot me an email if you want a demo on how mine works or you should contact whatever system you're using and ask if you can use a soft phone.

pbbaseball...do you have an option of your people dialing into the phone servers via a landline? I use a softphone alot and great success (and most are created equal), but they are largely dependent on your internet signal strength, using a wireless router, modem/port problems, etc. Unfortunately, I've heard good and bad with magic and vonage (mostly good) with limitations. Landline is a solid way to go and with some you won't have a phone bill. Just my two cents...

Take a look at Nettalk Duo Superior service to Vonage and one low cost annually; currently 49.95 to purchase and 29.95 yr thereafter. Here is an independent comparison to Vonage. I'm not a techie and do not understand how each work, maybe the same but Nettalk seems to be better quality and I've used both.

* Just make certain that you do not have a 'rolling ip address' as this will create some issue with any of these devices that do not plug directly into a computer. My little rinky dink phone and internet company uses this system so as to defeat these type of devices, but apparently this isn't common in the real world. One of the short comings of living in Bumb-F*kd-IN.

I like it...gonna pass on as needed to my clients. Haven't heard of them and thank you for another resource.

Most clients are insurance agents, but I'm thinking about checking out Nettalk for myself and mentioned it to my sister this past weekend... hate paying cable companies for this service.

I have been using Vonage for about 8 yrs and have had no problems; have not used Magic Jack but have heard complaints regarding reception from others who have.

The dude that sits next to me at work uses an obi and loves it... Im thinking about giving it a whirl.

Id post a link, but i dont have 10 total posts.

there is a good lifehacker article describing how they work.

MagicJack is barely sufficient for personal use. If you run a business, you need a virtual PBX. I went from MagicJack to Toktumi until they decided to support only smartphones. Then I opted for Vocalocity. I liked them at first, but they had monthly billing creep, so I went to RingCentral. I really like the additional features with RC Office... and their tech support is really good to work with.

I recently added an additional digital subsriber line so that I could place an ATA device on it and use my fax machines. Now I have an IP phone and an ATA device. I put my local business line on the IP phone and plugged in an old analog phone in a line out of one of my fax machines and had RC provision my toll free number to it.

If you choose RingCentral, tell them I sent you---Ed Jennings @ MidAmerica Life & Health.

Back