Western Southern Life Company-Good Company or Not

The good about WS: Good culture, education, lots of training(but not necessarily training that works), opportunities to go into management,book of business, good closing presentations as well as financial software,overall a very open system for navigating the application process. What I missabout WS is being able to communicate with underwriters easily and havingdependable support from the home office as well as within my own office. After about a year and a half in I kneweverything about the company from an internal stand point. The culture is veryopen and as far as customer service goes the home office is willing to step upand not put all of the responsibility of keeping customers happy on the agent. Muchbetter commission structure than similar companies.

The bad: Your manager maybe an *** and cost you sales, Ihad good and bad managers, you will encouraged to write bad business or $10 amonth accidental death policies in order to make numbers look better. When themanager said that they were number one in policies written I would not look atthis as necessarily a good thing. Sometimesthe sales process, managements numbers/ sales contests will be more importantthan how much money you make. You have two jobs, 1. selling insurance andfinancial products, 2. Reporting information to managers, going to meetings andother events.

My advice: Get the better manager in the office, do not workon the 2nd place staff. You will be forgotten soon. Don’t mess withterm, write whole life and critical illness, NLG UL will only be slightly higherthan their term products in some cases. Niches take time, write anything youcan that will make you profitable! Work 6 days a week and Monday- Thursday youwill need to work until 9pm, people who think they have a good network or areso good at sales that they work this like a 9-5 or 9-6 job come up short at theend of their first year. It is possible to learn everything about lifeinsurance as well as WS products even though some agents and managers will tellyou that you cant (they are just lazy) because their products stay the some it’snot a changing environment such as securities or even commercial insurance.

Great advice. How long did you stay with them?

Can anyone tell me when you start with Western Southern, the $600 you receive for the first 8 weeks, do you get that minimum per week directly to you? In other words, I don't go without pay and just accumulate that minimum for the first 8 weeks, correct? I am still trying to decide which way I want to go.

Back