What carrier will underwrite Sjogren's Syndrome

Well, my fingers are crossed. She has no issues, takes no medications other than Restasis occasionally for her eyes, but that's it. The condition is a result of Raynaud's Disease, which I disclosed to Assurant and she seemed confident that it was standard. She's in excellent health otherwise, slim, doesn't smoke, etc. So we're going to get the application done in the next day or two.

I'll post the results, but the person doing the pre-screen seemed to know what she was talking about. We'll see...

Greg,

I do not understand why this person should go to an underwritten plan. Raynauds is a vascular disease involving blood flow.

Restasis alone is around $80 to $100 give or take cost.

So take $80 to $100 off the top, and the risk of Raynauds, plus anything else that might happen - you are not going to get anywhere with this application.

She might think she is healthy on the surface but she has some risk factors.

I would have signed off on the risk pool by now. Besides the pool is better than Assurant with a chopped up modified offer anyhow.

Try and see - underwriting declines for far less than this case.

I respect your willingness to help the client but this person in my opinion belongs on group or in the state pool. The pool does have a 12 month pre ex. I am really curious if this person is currently insured - if not HOW LONG since prior coverage? Anything over 2 months - red flags start flying.

Understood, but she's had coverage for years. But hates her plan...

I guess I'm having trouble with the pre-screener telling me what she did when I told her everything about her history. The Assurant broker's guide doesn't mention Sjogren's or Raynaud's, so the consideration comes in with how it's managed, when the diagnosis took place, etc.

I've also got a good letter from her doc about her condition indicating that her prognosis is excellent and is considered a mild condition that doesn't effect her activities or health in any way. In fact, she'd be willing to take at least some kind of rider for it...not that I'm recommending it, but she's open to it because it, at least from a day to day aspect, it's a non-issue. Could it be later? Sure...she could also be hit by a bus tomorrow. ;)

We'll have to see, I suppose. Nothing gained, nothing lost as I see it. If we go the pool, then that's what do.

Restasis takes 30 days or so to start to work. Daily use as directed for 3 - 6 months is required to allow the medicine to work.

If she is not using it daily she is wasting her (and her carriers) money.

She's a realtor and as such has access to a crappy plan through an association of realtors, as I understand it. All I know about it is that she pays almost 400 dollars for it and it has a 10k deductible. The only name that I know for it is Performance AFID. That's all I know...

Wasn't sure about the Restasis...my impression was that it was a more occasional thing. Guess I was wrong.

But if the Assurant pre-screen was wrong, they were wrong twice. Dandy1, who's idea it was to try them, got the same response I did. She's got the information now and is looking over which of the two scenarios she wants.

Fingers continue to be crossed...

Ah, didn't know that about Restasis...I'm sure she's smart enough to use it as directed.

As I said, my fingers are crossed. I work pretty much exclusively with realtors and the plans that some agencies or associations offer are crap. And expensive crap at that...

Had never heard of this thing she had...hopefully I never will again!

I'll keep you all posted...hopefully with good news.

FWIW, a lot of folks, no matter how smart they are, don't always take their meds . . . especially if they have to pay more than $10 for the med.

Restasis is a steroid that has to build up in the body to work. Occasional use is ineffective.

Correct.

It Time takes her I will be surprised since Sjogren's (and Reynaud's) are declines for all other carriers.

I can't imagine they would taker her either but if they did the offer would likely be horrible.

Time for THIRP! Or a 2 man group maybe? BCBS? Just thinking outloud...

Good luck.

Back