What Makes a Good Sales Manager?

Sounds like a newbie, drinking the company cool-aid. What company are you going to work for, lets see, NAA is my guess.

All good advice. Some things to remember, in no particular order:

Two very important tasks that never end - recruiting and training, especially field training.

The top 20% of your agents will succeed regardless of you - you may in fact get in their way, so don't get in their way. 60% of your agents will need your help and assitance and support; focus on this group and help get them to the next level. The bottom 20% just aren't cut from the right cloth to make it in this career. Determine which agents are in this group early and cut them loose quickly. Oh, and this last group will take 80% of your time if you let them. Be mindful of this.

Tell any potential agent up front the exact expectations that you and the agency have for them. How many appointments each week are expected? How many applications? What does a typical day look like for a successful agent? What activities are most important? What type of yardstick is used to measure success?

Emphasize that yes, we are in sales, but we are really in the prospecting business. No or bad prospecting = no sales.

Last edited:
I have never wanted a sales manager to tell me what to do. I have always appreciated a sales manager who told me how he did it (successfully) when he was selling and offer to help me do the same.

Problem is, most sales managers have no clue on how to actually sell.

Dan

Back