What NOT to Do as a New Agent Getting Started

If you do not see the value or wish to pay to join an association - then do not do it. A ton of members on this forum are NAHU members for CE (training), meetings, and industry support.

Personally - I have never joined NAHU, I may revisit down the road but this is my choice. My local chapter didn't have a lot for me since I was an individual producer in what was arguably an organization geared towards group insurance.

This is my call - I see nothing wrong with the association or who joins it.

Some people could argue DO NOT PAY FOR A QUOTING ENGINE. I do pay for a quoting engine because it saves me time and that is my choice.

There is no right answer - to make a blanket statement to NOT do something I respectfully disagree. To each their own.

You're not going to do anything public without disagreement - comes with the territory. Some people feel the need to vent - guess it's some type of psychological thing. For me, I try not to invest too much emotional time in things that I can't change.

From what I have seen you are doing a great job with your association. Is it exactly how I would do it? Maybe , Maybe not - but I am not running an association so I do not care to comment.

If others see the value they will join, if not they will pass - it is really that simple. Unless you are being unethical, (which you are not) then you are providing a service that virtually no one else is specific to our industry - more power to you.

You did the American Dream - which is find something in your own life that is not being serviced and provide such service to others, good for you.

Well, the best comparison I can give for what the association does is a gym membership.

You join a gym to lose weight or maintain health. You can also do that at home for free - why pay for a gym.

Yet many people want the gym atmosphere. Now, say you're offered a personal trainer. Then you'd have to take the group of people who work out on their own vs the group of people who use a personal trainer and see who loses weight faster.

Maybe the personal trainer will tell people - both newbies and people who have worked out for years, new exercises and techniques. I'm not the only person in the show - I have others like Carl - 22 years licensed, 15 year CE instructor - 3 more senior agents came aboard this week - all 10+ years in the biz.

Like a gym membership the tools are simply all there - you use them or not. Having a gym membership doesn't make you lose weight - you make you lose weight. The gym also doesn't keep the weight off - you do. No gym guarantees fitness - nor do I guarantee success. I provide the tools.

So saying "don't join my association" is a bit like saying "never join a gym - work out at home by yourself at no charge."

Fine - well put. Many work out at home with great success - I prefer the gym; go 4 days a week.

So if you'd like to drop a few pounds or be in a community which helps you stay fit and it hasn't been happing on your own then my association is for you.

Saying "if you need a gym to lose weight then just forget it" or "if you need the association to be successful" is up to the individual. I personally have been going to gyms since I was 17.....when I stopped (which I have before) I packed on pounds.

I have friends at the gym - we get together and work out which is fun - as it's more fun to be independent with a team environment....for some.

And with a whopping 35 post count - just who is "insurancebenefitsgroup?" From his posts, I'd say he's here only to harm my association - possibly a PO'd manager (and there are many now) who doing unethical things with their agents and I exposed them. Yes - I'm getting a lot of "love mail" lately after members get back to their "managers" and say "hmmm, I just found something out."

Most of the members/attendees are group reps lookin' for business?

That's the way the Atlanta chapter was for years (and probably still is). The CE credits were mostly BS. Yes, I did get credit but it was more fun having bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails.

The meeting room did not have a hat check area. No need. All the swelled heads in the room were too big for hats any way.

Total waste of time and money.

And John. Nobody really cares about shooting down your association. Don't be so paranoid. Just because you think the guys in the huddle are talking about you does not mean they are.

They are actually talking about me.

Lol - well then allow me to shoot out some of the nicer emails I've received. I have members joining from all sorts of nefarious outfits - and of course, I let them know what's available and they're pissed - run back to their managers saying "guess what I heard." The managers say "really...so where did you hear this again?" - then I get nice VM's a emails. And it's only gonna get worse.

There's no shortage of unethical shops out there taking advantage of agents....and making a lot of money doing it. Tell me how you think they'd react when that money is in jeopardy. I've already been threatened with legal action - that's not paranoia.

Back