What qualities are needed as a commercial insurance broker (e.g. at Marsh)?

ryanjtw

Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from University soon and am interested in starting my career as an insurance broker in the commercial realm, e.g. by joining companies like Marsh. What are the must-haves (aside from the obvious, like people skills) and nice-to-haves, which are great but okay if I don't possess, of being a commercial insurance broker? Greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from University soon and am interested in starting my career as an insurance broker in the commercial realm, e.g. by joining companies like Marsh. What are the must-haves (aside from the obvious, like people skills) and nice-to-haves, which are great but okay if I don't possess, of being a commercial insurance broker? Greatly appreciate your thoughts!
https://insurance-forums.com/commun...mmercial-insurance-broker.97878/#post-1295273

What are the must-haves?

The must-have is a comprehensive knowledge of insurance. Being able to read and understand the insurance policies and forms. Understanding how risks are underwritten so you can gather the appropriate information to present to the underwriter.

You aren't going to get hired by a broker just for your pretty face and gift of gab.

Did you take any insurance courses while at the university? If not, you'll have to start from scratch and take the courses that are required for the broker's license. Then you'll have to pass a licensing exam.

Whether a brokerage will hire you before you do all that is anybody's guess.

Back