Votes: 3 20.0%
  • $499+

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I'm trying to put together a website offer for folks with some basic websites for agents that want to get online to get some credibility, but don't want to spend a ton of cash. I've been trying to build out some options in the $149-$199 price range, but I'm not sure if I'm missing the mark in either direction. I think that's priced about right, but for a basic website just to get your business online and establish some credibility, what do you think is about the right price?

I'm trying to put together a website offer for folks with some basic websites for agents that want to get online to get some credibility, but don't want to spend a ton of cash. I've been trying to build out some options in the $149-$199 price range, but I'm not sure if I'm missing the mark in either direction. I think that's priced about right, but for a basic website just to get your business online and establish some credibility, what do you think is about the right price?

What would it include?

What would it include?

That's a good question?

Writing content and graphics are a part of what drives up the cost of building a website, but many folks are fine doing their own. It would include a basic framework of a site and then the agent could just put in their info. It would be a few pages and have a contact form along with a graphic or two and maybe a banner, but that'd be the gist of it. Of course the more someone is willing to spend would it would increase what I could be doing for them, but I'm trying to make an easy point of entry for folks.

Some people have hired me to do work and spend thousands of dollars, others just want a pretty basic site. A part of why I think more people aren't getting websites is because they're stuck in between being savvy enough to *almost* put it together themselves, but not wanting to spend a ton of cash on getting someone to do everything for them, so this would be an option for folks stuck there. The idea is to have half a dozen or so options for folks to choose from and that way they know what they're getting upfront. If they want keyword research done or SEO work obviously I'd be happy to do that as well, but especially for agents that work from home, having a website is an important way to gain credibility, even if it's not for the purpose of generating leads.

John P. already has this covered and maybe a "corner" on the agent market.

From what I can gather he has been successful at doing $99 websites.

Find out what he is doing and maybe duplicate it, perhaps adding in your own ideas?

I don't think he will mind. Agents compete with each other but are still colleagues and help each other (locally... not so much on this board where they'd rather fight with each other!!!) I bet there is more than enough web work for all who would seek to start or follow this biz model.

I'm thinking about doing something similar for book authors, a market that I have some background in. However, I'm interested in apps (iPad/iPhone, etc.) in addition to web sites.

But I've not found a way to write an app for $99 yet. Since I'm just getting started in learning how to program these devices, there may be some app generators out there or some code foundations or some other tools I don't know about.

Considering that John sent me a friendly email about the subject, I'm inclined to think you're right. There are two major differences between what I offer and what John does. One is that I offer hosting. I can do everything, not just install the wordpress site and/or theme, folks can just say "I want a website" and give me $199 and they have a website without having to think about anything other than their content. The other major difference is that I can make sites rank. Not everyone wants and/or needs that, but I can show agents sites that I've made rank well for competitive terms, so it's more of a full-service offering.

Maybe I just let John have the $99 folks and go after the folks looking for a little more.

I've been told that there is a biz model in writing content for insurance websites.

I don't think so. Why would someone pay for it when they can just steal it from another site? Hardly anyone ever gets caught... indeed how would someone actually catch you?

Al

Just my opinion, but once you get into telling agents that you can make their site "rank" while charging a very nominal fee is messing with a hornet's nest.

It'll end up being the gift that keeps on giving and you'll never be left alone by some of your clients.

If you're going to do solid SEO work, I'd charge accordingly.

And going on Al's post above, content is the largest issue I'm running into. Yes, agents can "steal" it but I won't place stolen content in any site.

And when agents are paying from $50 to $150 per month to have a site they don't own, I doubt anyone would run into any issues charging a nominal one-time fee for content.

I've been told that there is a biz model in writing content for insurance websites.

I don't think so. Why would someone pay for it when they can just steal it from another site? Hardly anyone ever gets caught... indeed how would someone actually catch you?

Al

A few reasons:

-It's unethical (but we know that's not enough)
-Quality original content will rank better
-A better user experience
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just my opinion, but once you get into telling agents that you can make their site "rank" while charging a very nominal fee is messing with a hornet's nest.

To be clear, my "budget-friendly" site against another "budget-friendly" site isn't going to rank much better, but I can lay it out right so if they do want to spend more money it's already setup in such a way as to better take advantage of SEO strategies (social bookmarking, backlinking, etc).

If you're going to do solid SEO work, I'd charge accordingly.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've gotten away from trying to charge too little because I can generally make *more* money by just giving my sites extra attention or building new ones altogether.

Last edited:
What about three levels, $99, $149, $199... With each step adding a bell or whistle or two....having access to content would be helpful.

Back