What's considered by insurance companies as a pre existing condition?

Short term is a snake pit. Some policies have a 5 yr look back. Includes diagnosis, treatment and/or symptoms.

Time / Fortis / Assurant had numerous lawsuits over denied claims.

Obamacare open enrollment either has started or will. No pre-ex there. That would be the safe bet.

That is how its defined

There are some things that would be reasonable to assume there were substantial symptoms prior, And some things will never be an issue

If you buy health insurance and get a back surgery the next day, they are going to contact your doctors and get the evidence you had the condition prior, If it is a situation where rpe ex is not covered

If you buy a life insurance policy and die of a heart attack in 2 months they will check doctors medical records to see if they can get evidence there was a pre ex

In addition, there are script checks doctor records and so forth

Many people I speak with ( I do medicare) say they don't have any conditions but when I go through meds they take meds known for diabetes, for instance, They might say I don't have diabetes I take metformin for prevention

Just a couple of months ago I had a woman declined for heart arrhythmia, she swears she does not have a heart arrhythmia, to the point I talked with her doctor, Guess what she has heart arrhythmia
And it depends on the company. Some use 6 months, some 12 months and some 24 months. :yes:

Because if it is something serious when you go to the doctor and you have any sense you will tell him the truth about when your symptoms started..

You are missing my point. Your response “the day your symptoms started” is not a definition of pre-ex. Also, you stated the information will be in my records, which is not always true. The original post was asking how to determine the pre-ex being used.

How can this be true? If my symptoms started yesterday and I am enrolling today, how does my medical records contain that information?

if you have any symptoms that would suggest a prudent, intelligent person to consult a doctor, but you apply for insurance prior to going to the doctor, your policy can be rescinded during the 1st 24 months. If it’s health insurance any payment to providers can be reversed.

What ever path you or your relative take, Do Not Lie on the Application. And as an insurance agent: sometimes it is best to advise and walk away from the policy and application

if you have any symptoms that would suggest a prudent, intelligent person to consult a doctor, but you apply for insurance prior to going to the doctor, your policy can be rescinded during the 1st 24 months. If it’s health insurance any payment to providers can be reversed.

But not so in the group world. The original question did not specify what products.

suggest a prudent, intelligent person to consult a doctor

The phrase "prudent man rule" is considered mysoginistic by some Leftists but that has been used for the 20 decades or so that I have been in this business. Only Rouse has been around longer . . .

Do Not Lie on the Application. And as an insurance agent: sometimes it is best to advise and walk away from the policy and application

I tell folks there will most likely be an underwriting interview at some point. Pretend you are on the witness stand and Perry Mason is grilling you.

I have walked away from a few sales when I felt the prospect was not being honest. In all the time in this business I believe I have only had one policy rescinded and a handful of claims denied for pre-ex.

Back