What's considered by insurance companies as a pre existing condition?

Do they go by the day that you were diagnosed/treated or the day that they assume you knew about it?

Suggest you review the definition in your plan documents for the exact wording. As a general rule of thumb the wording will be something along the lines of “incurred an expense, a reasonable person had knowledge” and so on. Might be dates going backwards for the definition, such as 6 months.

Depending on the type of plan there may very well be slightly different definitions.

Suggest you review the definition in your plan documents for the exact wording. As a general rule of thumb the wording will be something along the lines of “incurred an expense, a reasonable person had knowledge” and so on. Might be dates going backwards for the definition, such as 6 months.

Depending on the type of plan there may very well be slightly different definitions.
I'd assume that most people don't know that they have anything major until the doctor tells them that they have it.

That is how its defined

There are some things that would be reasonable to assume there were substantial symptoms prior, And some things will never be an issue

If you buy health insurance and get a back surgery the next day, they are going to contact your doctors and get the evidence you had the condition prior, If it is a situation where rpe ex is not covered

If you buy a life insurance policy and die of a heart attack in 2 months they will check doctors medical records to see if they can get evidence there was a pre ex

In addition, there are script checks doctor records and so forth

Many people I speak with ( I do medicare) say they don't have any conditions but when I go through meds they take meds known for diabetes, for instance, They might say I don't have diabetes I take metformin for prevention

Just a couple of months ago I had a woman declined for heart arrhythmia, she swears she does not have a heart arrhythmia, to the point I talked with her doctor, Guess what she has heart arrhythmia

Why are you asking?
Have a family member who is uninsured but wants get coverage. But I'm concerned that they will deny coverage on anything major if it pops up. Would prefer to wait till obamacare opens up in January but probably best to go to doctor now.

Back