Whats More Effective? CC for Life or P&C?

My P&C cold calling campaign is working fairly well but not as well as I would like. For any of you that cold call (especially those that have CC for P&C and life) what do you think would produce better results, calling to solicit life ins or P&C?

Thanks!

I would say P&C for sure. Perople always want to save money on their home & auto.

If all your pitch was "I am calling to see if I can save you money on your home or auto insurance" you could probably pick up a decent amount of leads.

Aside from the actual pitch and your phone skills I would have to say P&C would be more effective. I was a L&H agent and talk to countless P&C and L&H agents. In my opinion, whether the economy is good or bad people will need P&C and health insurance. The life policy is usually the first to go when money is tight.

I would always lead with the product that is going to be my best "door-opener," sell it if possible, earn their trust with that first sell then go back and cross-sell other products. I would never ask a question that I didn't know the answer to or wouldn't get someone talking.

"Do you think you're paying too much for your X policy?" Most people think they're paying too much.

"Have you ever had a problem with a claim?" Maybe... maybe not.

"If you don't get this X policy do you have a lump sum of money you could use god forbid some type of emergency?" If they do then idea for an annuity or other product LATER after this sell. If no, then reinforces the need for X policy.

It's really just fact-finding and asking questions and this is something that comes with time and exposure. I do have some great ideas for P&C agents on the phone I can share... just wanted to share my two cents here.
Thanks.

Aside from the actual pitch and your phone skills I would have to say P&C would be more effective. I was a L&H agent and talk to countless P&C and L&H agents. In my opinion, whether the economy is good or bad people will need P&C and health insurance. The life policy is usually the first to go when money is tight.

I would always lead with the product that is going to be my best "door-opener," sell it if possible, earn their trust with that first sell then go back and cross-sell other products. I would never ask a question that I didn't know the answer to or wouldn't get someone talking.

"Do you think you're paying too much for your X policy?" Most people think they're paying too much.

"Have you ever had a problem with a claim?" Maybe... maybe not.

"If you don't get this X policy do you have a lump sum of money you could use god forbid some type of emergency?" If they do then idea for an annuity or other product LATER after this sell. If no, then reinforces the need for X policy.

It's really just fact-finding and asking questions and this is something that comes with time and exposure. I do have some great ideas for P&C agents on the phone I can share... just wanted to share my two cents here.
Thanks.

Hey Cory,
I am looking to get into the P&C side and am curious as to what ideas work for you.

Hi Texas,
I'll try to keep this as short as possible and you can always PM me and we can talk over the phone/email. I've worked and spoken with countless agents and seen alot of great ideas and scripts and some not so great. Some times it just takes an outside perspective. Here are some ideas:

-If you're a P&C national franchise owner, you don't have to talk about your service and people. Consumers assume they will get good service unless they've had a bad experience with you and you can't change their mind after that.
If you're a broker... do their shopping for them because you have more options and it cost just the same if you went direct anyway.
-Keep is short and meaty...don't have to tell them all about your staff and other things that are assumed or apparent.

I'm one of those people (that P&C agents don't like) b/c I shop my policy every 6-12 months, but here are some script and sales ideas from a "consumer's" stand point:

-Consumers like me forget all the time what the different coverages mean i.e. PIP, comp, collision. IDEA: Offer them an education on those items and after they understand they will more than likely see opportunities to save.
-Life events (divorce, dependents on policies, age, accidents, etc.) or reason enough for a review if they haven't revisited their plan in a couple of years like most who just pay it... find these changes.
-Know your competition i.e. unlike other companies who have had a X percent rate increase or X many rate increases in the last 12 months...we have had none or only one or only a modest X percent increase.
-Know your history of rate increases and percentages.
-Let them know your local and right around the corner.
-Let them know you give all your clients your personal cell number (if you do) as I know agents that do, but just don't get that many calls so it's a win win. When you get a call and act quickly...that's worth it's weight in gold b/c they will refer you or talk about the personal touch over dinner w/friends or outing.

I may even have some scripts I can share with you as well as telesales 101. PM me and let's talk... hope you were able to take away just one item away that may help.

Back