When Buying A Car

One word: Carfax: CARFAX - Vehicle History Reports and VIN number check - pay the fee and pull it up on any car you're looking to buy.

What you're looking to stay away from is a car that's been in an accident and a car that's been titled multiple times over the past few years.

You're also making sure that the person selling you the car is the actual owner and not someone "curbing" cars.

It's also not unusual to take the car to your mechanic and have him look it over before you buy it. A bad sign when you're meeting to look at the car is when they want to meet in a public location - like some parking lot.

Questions:

How long have you owned the car?
Any major repairs?
Do you have any receipts for repairs and maintenance?

Beyond that, common sense comes into play. If it's dirty you can assume it's been neglected. Walk away.

Ironically, on the flip side, watch out for an older car with mileage that has a kicking new paint job. That's actually a bad sign.

Last edited:
Your dad is partially correct. The dealership may still sell you the car but they will force place their own full coverage and include that cost in your loan if you do not provide your own coverage.

Every lender will require full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, your coverage from an agent will be less expensive than letting the lender place the coverage.

Actually, the coverage they place will likely be physical damage only. It will not include liability coverage. This will not be good for you.:no:

In buying a car on Ebay avoid older cars that come from or have spent most of their life in the North. Corrosion on the underside of these cars is a real issue. There are a lot of cars on Ebay from Florida so I would think that you are in a good location to find something reasonably close.

Of the five cars I purchased through Ebay one (1) was cherry, two (2) were very good, one (1) was o.k., and one (1) was a problem. The problem vehicle was an unforseen that you couldn't predict under the circustances since this vehicle would barely run (timing was off) when I purchased it. After I got it fixed (timing belt) and it ran properly was when I could hear the engine noise. I kinda broke even on this one. I drove it about a year and I it cost me about $1,200 to drive it a year.

Yeah so I dropped my budget to 5000, hoping to find a decent Manual Civic, or a Scion with high mileage (their Toyota's)... and take what i can before summer this year. Hopefully i have 1100 saved, with my financial aide check, and 2months of saving, i can reach about 4 thousand (maybe more) and my dad promised me 1000 if i can save to 3000 or higher, and i'll purchase my car :-) thanks everyone, and I'm checking e-bay and craigslist. Later next month

Yeah so I dropped my budget to 5000, hoping to find a decent Manual Civic, or a Scion with high mileage (their Toyota's)... and take what i can before summer this year. Hopefully i have 1100 saved, with my financial aide check, and 2months of saving, i can reach about 4 thousand (maybe more) and my dad promised me 1000 if i can save to 3000 or higher, and i'll purchase my car :-) thanks everyone, and I'm checking e-bay and craigslist. Later next month

The most dependable cars on the road in my opinion are Honda, Toyota/Scion, and Subaru. Nissans are o.k. and the newer Mazda's 3,4,6 seem to be pretty good. Of the domestic brands Ford seems to be the best.

The most dependable cars on the road in my opinion are Honda, Toyota/Scion, and Subaru. Nissans are o.k. and the newer Mazda's 3,4,6 seem to be pretty good. Of the domestic brands Ford seems to be the best.

What you don't want to buy Government Motors (GM)?

Back