When Buying A Car

Bet you didn't think you'd be saying that 10 or 20 years ago.

In 1997 I tried my best to find a GM car I liked because I could buy at employee pricing (family at GM) and I had $500 rebate available on a GM card. I just couldn't find anything I like because the quality was not there. I bought a Toyota Avalon and paid more money for it and loved the car.

In 1997 I tried my best to find a GM car I liked because I could buy at employee pricing (family at GM) and I had $500 rebate available on a GM card. I just couldn't find anything I like because the quality was not there. I bought a Toyota Avalon and paid more money for it and loved the car.

Hey, we were comparing domestics against domestics. The quality was very much lacking against foreign vehicles at that time.

Agreed. Ebay can be a great place to purchase cars. I'd look for a professional company selling cars with a lot of positive feedback.

I'd avoid buying a car from a first-time seller.

I sold my Jeep Wrangler on eBay last week. A dealer only wanted to give me $4500 for it and it sold in 3 days on eBay for $8500.
Guy drove to Indiana from Arkansas for it and paid cash money.

eBay is awesome for buying and selling vehicles.

since I'm sure you guys have much much more experience with car manufacturers my three choice of cars are a Cheaper Scion tC with high mileage ( I heard its a Camry engine in there, thats mean 100thousand miles is a walk in the park for this car), a Honad Civic 2D Coup, (with less miles than a tC as i'm wiling to settle with a car older then 7 years), i dont have a third choice, but it will most likely be a 2 door car manual transmission. Good choices right?

When I was your age I never bought a car with less than 100,000 miles on it. I always bought Honda or Toyota.
I paid cash and drove them all to over 300,000
I never had trouble with any of them.
In fact, up until two years ago I drove a Subaru Outback to 275,000 miles and it was probably the best driving car I ever had. I gave it to my son and he's still driving it.
Don't buy any car that you can't pay cash for. Especially at your age.

I guess i'm not keeping a realistic dream, hoping to get a car under 100K miles... but what is your opinion on salvaged titles?... I mean they are priced very very good... i'im 2K away from 5K just to let everyone know... my dad said this is when i should have a set price in my mind, not such a huge range

I guess i'm not keeping a realistic dream, hoping to get a car under 100K miles... but what is your opinion on salvaged titles?... I mean they are priced very very good... i'im 2K away from 5K just to let everyone know... my dad said this is when i should have a set price in my mind, not such a huge range

I've had two cars with salvage titles. Both have been great cars. One of them my son still drives and he thinks it's fantastic.
Just check it out very thoroughly. Try to find out where the damage was and who repaired it.
I used to buy a whole lot of totaled motorcycles at auction and repair them. They were as good as new when I was done but of course I had to sell them cheaper due to the salvage titles. The people buying them got great deals.

I've had two cars with salvage titles. Both have been great cars. One of them my son still drives and he thinks it's fantastic.
Just check it out very thoroughly. Try to find out where the damage was and who repaired it.
I used to buy a whole lot of totaled motorcycles at auction and repair them. They were as good as new when I was done but of course I had to sell them cheaper due to the salvage titles. The people buying them got great deals.

The salvage title thing all depends upon what was wrong and who did the repair. I have seen a some of poor quality work. The important thing is making sure the frame is straight. I saw a salvage car lately that was put together out of three cars.

Back