When does prospecting end?

Ditto to most everyone - prospecting never ends. But, it changes. You have to put in the time and effort of trying many various forms of prospecting so that you can eventually have enough statistics in order to evaluate where to more wisely put your money.

Besides hitting the phone, you can start a website and/or a blog and optimize them. You can do those for little investment, except your time. Try buying lists of names for a certain demographic versus buying "leads." You will save a ton. But, then you have to differentiate yourself by being original. You can do this by spending money on nice envelopes, clear and professional labels, nice printed return business name and address, and professionally written (concise) letters, introducing your product(s).

If you do the letter thing, make it personal by spending more time addressing it to each recipient, personally, by name.

Best of luck.

...and when you're at social events - leave it the frick at home. No one at the pig roast wants to get your card...trust me.

It depends on who is at the event. I go to a lot of parties where there are a lot of self-employed professionals or small business owners. Nine times out of ten I will be asked what I do for a living.

me: I help people and businesses protect their financial assets and reduce their taxes.

Five out of ten will engage.

them: How do you do that?

me: I write life, health, and disability coverage

At least one person at every party will engage...

them: I have all that through the business.

me: I'm sure you probably have a good plan.

them: It's expensive, but we're happy with it

me: I'm sure it will probably be all right for you. There are lots of good plans out there.

them: Are there bad plans? How would I know if it is a good plan.

me: I wouldn't worry. If you had a professional agent I'm sure it's probably a good plan and he or she probably did a good job for you.

me: The guy came recommended by a good friend. He seemed to know his stuff.

me: I'm sure he probably did and your plan will probably work for you.

them: why do you say "probably?"

me: Well, not knowing the details I can't say for sure. You'll probably be fine. You can always have it reviewed... a second opinion as it were. (Holding up food] This stuffed mushroom thing is pretty good.

them: you have a card on you.

me: no... I never take them to parties. Give me yours and I'll call you. How is the shrimp dip?

=======

You notice the word "probably" used a lot?

In the computer industry there is a well-known term: FUD which means Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. You spread a little of that around when talking to someone at a party and many times you will get an appointment... and they will ask you for it.

Insurance prospecting is nothing more than talking to people and getting them to focus on risk. The trick is to do it... without them really knowing you've done it.

The Jackass

I have a few agents who have reached what I call "critical mass" -- the phone always ringing with new business to the point where they have very little time for prospecting -- in 2 1/2 to 3 years, and some agents who NEVER reach it.

The keys are (1) treating your book of business so well that they're inspired to both purchase other products and/or refer business to you, and (2) creating and nurturing relationships with other professionals who think of YOU when a client of theirs needs help.

"Critical mass" is reachable, but it's up to the agent to get there.

After years in this biz, between renewals and referrals - if all you want to do is maintain the same income level - you really don't need that much new business from leads or prospecting.

A smart agent will never stop prospecting. This is the key to success. Find your niche. Know who you are targeting and go after them. Find the problem that they have and fix it. Prospecting is an art, a craft, something you get better at with practice. One that knows how to prospect, will always survive, even if there are no leads to buy from anywhere.

The only leads that I knew about when I got started in this business were referrals. Best Leads in the world. It did take me some time to learns that I could get referrals simply by just asking for them and treating my customers right.

I enjoy prospecting. It is like fishing to me. I never know what I'm going to catch and which bait or location will work the best.

Back