When Should You Go to the Consumer Services Bureau?

ny86

Expert
Hi,

When should someone go to the consumer services bureau?

I was given advice that they can help when insurance companies try to reject claims they should pay.

Has anyone used them for assistance?

Here is a link incase you dont know what it is: dfs.ny.gov/insurance/dfs_insurance.htm

The reality is that most insurance companies are going to pay claims the way they should. I would suspect the majority of complaints there have less to do with the insurance company not doing what they should and more to do with consumers needing to complain because they don't understand the way their insurance works.

Do you have a specific claim issue?

The reality is that most insurance companies are going to pay claims the way they should. I would suspect the majority of complaints there have less to do with the insurance company not doing what they should and more to do with consumers needing to complain because they don't understand the way their insurance works.

Do you have a specific claim issue?

Yes my insurance company is denying my PIP claim telling me to go to a siblings insurance policy that's addressed to a different home.

makes no sense and after giving all the proof in the world, they come back asking for more and more useless documents.

Yes my insurance company is denying my PIP claim telling me to go to a siblings insurance policy that's addressed to a different home.

makes no sense and after giving all the proof in the world, they come back asking for more and more useless documents.

The documents might not be useless. Is there any reason you can't provide them the paperwork they're looking for? If what they're asking for is reasonable the state isn't going to change a thing.

I'm not familiar with your situation and missed the thread (though I may go back and look at it), but if another carrier is supposed to be paying it's only reasonable for them to expect the appropriate carrier to pay for it and do their due diligence to make sure they're not paying for something they shouldn't be.

The documents might not be useless. Is there any reason you can't provide them the paperwork they're looking for? If what they're asking for is reasonable the state isn't going to change a thing.

I'm not familiar with your situation and missed the thread (though I may go back and look at it), but if another carrier is supposed to be paying it's only reasonable for them to expect the appropriate carrier to pay for it and do their due diligence to make sure they're not paying for something they shouldn't be.

If I remember correctly, he was in his brother's car in another state when the incident occurred.

The reality is that when a carrier or adjuster requests documents related to the loss, the documents are not "useless" (most of the time).

If I remember correctly, he was in his brother's car in another state when the incident occurred.

The reality is that when a carrier or adjuster requests documents related to the loss, the documents are not "useless" (most of the time).

That's just what you'd expect an adjuster to say :)

He was in a cab. My guess: taxi/livery use vehicle. Denied claim. That's like a #1 personal auto exclusion. It was a commercial policy if I'm not mistaken. Only listed drivers are covered on a standard commercial policy in my experience. I think there are endorsements that can allow permissive use driving but his relative probably didn't have it on the policy. What business does someone have driving a cab for personal use?

i really don't want to get into the situation because most people are not getting it.

I will post it one last time. I was on vacation in florida in a rental car. I was hit by a driver and need medical attention (resulted in 100K in bills).

I am covered under my dad's policy because i lived with him my entire life. PIP covers all household members.

My dad's policy said go to my brothers policy who lives at a different address. This doesnt make any sense at all because i do not live at his household. Therefore my brothers PIP would not cover me since we never actually lived together.

Again because people assume somehow my bro is involved in the accident, he was not in florida at all and he lives in a different state than me. how in the world would it make sense for me to go to his policy?

This is a case where the insurance company is playing games and hoping I go away so they don't need to pay. It's been more than a year so i'm trying to see whats the best action to take.

Go ahead and go to the state about it, doing so isn't going to hurt your cause any.

It's possible they're denying it because there is no coverage on that policy and suggesting there is a possibility the brother's policy may cover it. It's entirely possible you're in a situation where there is no coverage. If you're in a rental car in another state it's possible the NY PIP isn't going to cover it. If memory serves, your brother was driving the car.

One thing is very clear, you believe the insurance company should pay and you say they aren't. Again, you have nothing to lose by going to the state about it, but I wouldn't rule out the (unfortunate) likelihood that there just isn't coverage for your accident.

As had been addressed earlier, this is a great reason to have health insurance. Unfortunately the premiums in NY are off the charts, but that would be a way of making sure you were covered against medical bills.

Back