Where To Start

NewKYAgent

I'm not exactly sure where to start with my inquiry so I think I'll tell a bit about myself. First of all, I'm relatively new to KY and don't know a lot of people here. I am a licensed P & C agent but have little experience in the business (as far as sales is concerned). I have a pretty broad knowledge of insurance in general as I've for several insurance companies, just not in sales. Previously my background was in banking but I found the career pretty limiting. I'm finding it difficult to get started and have a daily discipline to follow. In other words, narrowing down a particular niche in which to market. I have a considerable amount of support at the agency where I work but I'm finding it difficult to organize my day (i.e. prospecting, networking, cold calling, etc.). By support, I mean plenty of service people and knowledgeable agents. The problem is that everybody is pretty busy with their own workload. I find myself struggling to figure out what to do first and end up wasting a lot of time. Does anybody have any feedback if cold calling on businesses works? I'm talking about driving to the business and going in to introduce myself. If so, what technique's are most successful. Also, any particular niches worth checking into? I'm primarily focusing on commercial insurance. Thank you!

Start creating and building relationships with centers of influence and good referral sources. Join a local chamber, mixer, etc and get to know people that work with the clientele you are looking for.

You can't build enough good relationships in this business.

I'm not exactly sure where to start with my inquiry so I think I'll tell a bit about myself. First of all, I'm relatively new to KY and don't know a lot of people here. I am a licensed P & C agent but have little experience in the business (as far as sales is concerned). I have a pretty broad knowledge of insurance in general as I've for several insurance companies, just not in sales. Previously my background was in banking but I found the career pretty limiting. I'm finding it difficult to get started and have a daily discipline to follow. In other words, narrowing down a particular niche in which to market. I have a considerable amount of support at the agency where I work but I'm finding it difficult to organize my day (i.e. prospecting, networking, cold calling, etc.). By support, I mean plenty of service people and knowledgeable agents. The problem is that everybody is pretty busy with their own workload. I find myself struggling to figure out what to do first and end up wasting a lot of time. Does anybody have any feedback if cold calling on businesses works? I'm talking about driving to the business and going in to introduce myself. If so, what technique's are most successful. Also, any particular niches worth checking into? I'm primarily focusing on commercial insurance. Thank you!

Can you prospect to your old banking clients? Just get out and see them to get started...work your old bank clients or fellow bankers.....look for other agents who you can work with and do case splits.

Ask your agency about old clients who left your agency...maybe you can work them....or ask other producers in your office...maybe they have old leads they didn't have time to close...maybe do split work with them.

If you are going to interrupt a business to introduce yourself and try to get in the door, be different.

I used to get a number of bankers coming in to visit me about their bank, services, blah, blah, blah...boooring.

one day a banker walks through my door...he had boxes custom made with his contact info (they look like the dunkin munchkin boxes), put a couple soft pretzels in and just made the rounds introducing himself....not talking business other than asking what we do.....it wasn't until the 2nd - 3rd trip that he asked for a meeting.

I think it's always best to seem like you have something to offer. Sales is all about relationships so your goal is to build that relationship and then turn into salesman. (I don't sell insurance yet but this is just what I've learned from working in sales in general)

If you have free time spend it educating yourself! The more you know the more confident you will be and the more people will trust you. Learn your product like the back of your hand. If people sense doubt or insecurity their trust is gone and you've lost them!

What part of KY? Go Cards!

I think it's always best to seem like you have something to offer. Sales is all about relationships so your goal is to build that relationship and then turn into salesman. (I don't sell insurance yet but this is just what I've learned from working in sales in general)

If you have free time spend it educating yourself! The more you know the more confident you will be and the more people will trust you. Learn your product like the back of your hand. If people sense doubt or insecurity their trust is gone and you've lost them!

What part of KY? Go Cards!

Is there some team in Kentucky named the Cardinals?

Kentucky is Wildcats country. I was a Chicago boy who became a Snap On Tool dealer in Kentucky (twenty some years ago). I learned quickly that I had to have my blood changed from red to blue. My daughter plays competitive fastpitch softball and her dream scholarship is to Kentucky. Hung a Wildcat poster on her wall and follows their softball team. Makes me proud.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who posted. In fact, I am in Louisville, KY and talk about a city divided Cardinals/Wildcats. The one commonality in all the feedback that I've gotten either in here or amongst other local agents is actually just doing the work. Just sitting around trying to think of the best approach or the perfect niche or the best method is exhausting and tough to make any progress. My commitment to myself is to call on (in person) 10 prospects a day for 3 days a week and try to get X-Dates, and do that for six months. Hopefully that will yield some results! Any other feedback is welcome.

Thank you to all who posted. In fact, I am in Louisville, KY and talk about a city divided Cardinals/Wildcats. The one commonality in all the feedback that I've gotten either in here or amongst other local agents is actually just doing the work. Just sitting around trying to think of the best approach or the perfect niche or the best method is exhausting and tough to make any progress. My commitment to myself is to call on (in person) 10 prospects a day for 3 days a week and try to get X-Dates, and do that for six months. Hopefully that will yield some results! Any other feedback is welcome.

Aggressively getting ready does not pay well.

Back