Which companies have good maternity coverage?

Speaking of maternity this is a good time to let all new agents now that you need to actually ask your client if they want or need maternity. If it's not discussed people will assume it's covered. Remember that most people are used to group coverage where basically everything is covered.

Failure to ask your client if they need maternity might end up with this type of nasty call:

Client: "We have a huge problem. I just found out I'm pregnant, called the insurance company and they're trying to tell me pregnancy isn't covered."

You: "No, maternity isn't covered."

Client: "You never told me that."

You: "I never told you it was covered."

Great - so you get to be smug but you just hung someone out to dry.

Look for an HMO. In GA you can get KP and have maternity coverage from the first month, no waiting period. Other (PPO) carriers require 9 month (or longer) waits.

Of course I might add the cost of maternity coverage makes it prohibitive in many situations.

At bare minimum you at least want it to be a covered expense so that:

A: You meet pre-authorization requirements
B: You get substantial network discounts

Saying that, choose Assurant with a $10,000 maternity deductible if it's available in your state and price is an issue. It's $9 flat to add it on.

So with an HMO its usually day one to thirty days? Stand alone policies its usually a maternity rider, is this true? If so that's what it always was, however the HMOs usually didn't have the OB Gyns that most of the married young women wanted.

Rapidrobert, it all depends. You can have an HMO with zero maternity or wonderful coverage. In FL for example, almost any HMO is group insurance (employee sponsored)...you can't buy it on your own.

In Tampa and Miami there's Citrus Health and Vista, which are HMO's that you can purchase individually. If you live outside of these areas it's useless.

Most individual companies, which are PPO's, have zero maternity or very limited coverage. In FL, Assurant has a 90 day waiting period and a lump sum deductible, $1000, $2500, etc. BCBS of FL has maternity but is costs a fortune. Humana bailed completely, Golden Rule's limits are a joke, Aetna offers zippo.

The "what married young women want" is here nor there. A low out of pocket pregnancy and delivery will usually take priority over the rapport they have with a doc that doesn't take the insurance.

Last edited:
Golden Rule's limits are a joke

When I don't use KP then GR has the best deal on maternity here. At first I wasn't impressed. The more I looked at it the better it got.

Did write one with Time this week. Family wanted an HSA with maternity. They were the only logical choice.

At bare minimum you at least want it to be a covered expense so that:

A: You meet pre-authorization requirements
B: You get substantial network discounts

Saying that, choose Assurant with a $10,000 maternity deductible if it's available in your state and price is an issue. It's $9 flat to add it on.

I believe this is best carrier here is assurant, they offer great benefits for any maternity situation, more so than some of the other carriers. My second choice would be BCBS

there are ways to get health insurance with maternity coverage at low cost secured. It is possible, indeed, even though many insurance companies refuse insurance pregnancy as a pre-existing condition.

Humana will cover the birth of a child starting on the 13th month of the effective date of the policy.

Good feature since BCBS of Kansas City has a 24 month wait before you can even be pregnant.
That's not exactly true about BCBSKC. As long as you deliver after the end of the 24 months, pretty much everything associated with the pregnancy will be covered.

Back