Why Are Customers So Stupid?

----------

Don't ask the question if you may not like the answer. Why give a client an ultimatum?

I treat dm and internet leads the same way: I let them know upfront I'm an independent agent and I work with more than 60 carriers.
The statement I make (and not a question) is: "I need to ask you a few questions to see what you qualify for and to find the best coverage at the most affordable rates." And then I start with a few basic medical questions and verify their age, tobacco use, etc.

If they have listened to what I just told them, why would they want or need to shop around?:)

Last edited:
----------

Don't ask the question if you may not like the answer. Why give a client an ultimatum?

I treat dm and internet leads the same way: I let them know upfront I'm an independent agent and I work with more than 60 carriers.
The statement I make (and not a question) is: "I need to ask you a few questions to see what you qualify for and to find the best coverage at the most affordable rates." And then I start with a few basic medical questions and verify their age, tobacco use, etc.

If they have listened to what I just told them, why would they want or need to shop around?:)

One can listen......but not believe (I've done that many times.....as I'm certain you have ;) .....you "must" be believable.

Most clients who were adept enough to do internet searches and find proper coverage will have no need for my services in the first place.
And the ones who touched an exchange plan & did partake in the ceremony well they will be directed to healthcare.gov. They might be good candidates for life insurance or disability..
so an agent could mean a human or could mean healthcare.gov so good thing to find up a front. Nobody is a waste of time but certainly you want to find out if you're wasting your own time this is just common sense. Because if they're meeting with us they are needing help... it's very likely they've already spent hours on the phone trying to get the help they need and didn't get it.

Last edited:
I look at it like this. People have a right to make good or bad decisions just like we do. I learned my lesson of not seeing the husband and wife together for an appointment no matter how hard the husband says he makes the decisions or doesn't need her ok to make a decision. You give out a bunch of information and he says I have to talk it over with my wife.

HEY! You're exposing one of my good defenses! :laugh:

----------

can someone explain to me why customers are just so stupid? I'll try to sell them a low cost decent and effective plan. I do a good job at presenting it and im honest about it. One guy- I was selling him a plan with a really good carrier for 127.00/month.

I talk to him days later and he said it's ok, he signed up with a diff company. I ask him who- he says multiplan for 400/month with a 140 startup fee.

Not only is it not health insurance, but this bozo was willing to pay 400 for a plan based on lies an agent told. Even if it was true, who would be stupid enough to pay that amount? this guy was 24 years old. I tried to tell him multiplan wasn't health insurance and he said he'll research it.

This happens all the time- i even sell good plans, good prices and customers complain- they just want to whine about anything, but they're thrilled to get scammed by other companies and people and pay 300/month for something that isn't health insurance. Do customers just trust liars? that's what it seems like to me- b/c being honest doesn't seem to work with them. customers act like im scamming them- when im nothing but nice honest and upfront. Yet they'll gladly get scammed by people who just ask for their CC number and hang up on them. Does any of this make any sense? I don't understand them anymore- i guess if I try a fake sales pitch, sound fake and money hungry, and act like a jerk not only will they trust me but they won't bother or harass me. But if im honest, they treat me like a scam artist, and not good and bother me over anything.

I got out a book called No Bull Selling yesterday because I wanted to post something from it for someone. That reminded me of something else in it that might be relevant to your situation.

His introduction presents two points:

People buy on emotion and justify with facts.
People buy for their reasons, not ours.

I suspect there are disconnects between your approach to your prospects, your product and the selling process; and the two points immediately above.

One day while I was attempting to sell books door to door, I was tasked with going out with a student manager. In the afternoon I was turned loose on my own in his territory. I "burned up" a pretty piece of it. When I told him about that later, he just laughed. He went through that area as it came up on his schedule, and I believe he sold a couple of books to people who had declined to buy from me.

----------

dhk

Why can't I have my OWN planet? :twitchy:

Go for it! Make sure you let us know how that's working out for you.

Until then, we're a guest on this one... so we just have to figure out how the natural laws work, and work from there.

:shocked:
Hmmm...... Now I am to report back on BOTH time and interplanetary travel.

:cry: :D

Back