Why are we so lazy?

If somebody is feeling apprehensive about cold calling, conducting presentations or asking somebody out on a date, they need to grow a pair, be a man and face the reality that they need help. THEN, decide what to do once you learn of a problem Saying you have an issue without acting on finding a solution is a cop out, unless you "pro-actively" find out what the issue is and learn alternatives to correcting the issue.

Have a fear or rejection or success?
Are you tired of being nervous before calling?
Do you sweat before a presentation or cold call?

Buy some sales books, think outside the box about "how" and "what" you say to prospects when you're presenting that will differntiate yourself from the competition then Practice, practice, practice..

In addition, take a few psychological test and be honest with yourself when you take the test. I have taken a few tests and it became quickly apparent where I needed improvement and what areas I was comfortable with. Visit these places and spend a few hundred dollars.

Assessments For You offers DISC behavioral reports, Myers-Briggs behavioural profiles, and PIAV online

Behavioral Sciences Research Press - OFFERINGS - Assessments

Anybody who is interested in attending the Fear-Free Prospecting Workshop PM me so I can work on getting us discount if we can guarantee a few attendees.

They have a course coming up in the April and another TBD. $600 plus food, travel and transportation is a good deal. The company also has satellite offices similar to Sandler, but I want to meet the authors and visit Dallas, so I'll be going to Texas.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. If you really have a fear of contacting people chances are you'll never do well in sales. You'll either do "ok" for a while and eventually get out of the field or you'll quit quickly.

I don't have a fear of cold-calling. I simply don't like the mental games I play with myself before I cold-call. Once I'm on the phone or once I'm in the field every thing's fine and I'm very effective.

But I've trained hundreds of reps to go B to B and if even once you're out there you don't like it it's over. Save your money on the books. Same with the phones. If after you're all warmed up and making calls you're thinking "I hate this" then you'll never do it.

Same with car sales - I've trained newbies there also. I dragged one guy around with me for 2 days and after that I pointed to a customer getting out of their car and said "ok, you're up." His reply? "That's ok, I'd rather spend another day with you." Done - over. We started a pool. I had him quitting after a week. I lost - he bagged it 2 days later.

Books might teach you some skills but they don't give you a pair. You either have a pair or you don't.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. If you really have a fear of contacting people chances are you'll never do well in sales. You'll either do "ok" for a while and eventually get out of the field or you'll quit quickly.

We've had the nature (hereditary) vs. nurture conversation many times in the past. People can overcome fear because fear is partly related to evolution and part related social and environment conditions. People have a natural aversion to snakes, spiders, etc. because we've been conditioned throughout time to know that snakes can kill us and that is reinforced by our environment. We're taught has children here in the good ole US to be weary or fear strangers from out parents. That conditioning continues with us into adulthood and prevents some people from being out-going. There are many others issues involved, but that is just one example.

We're not born knowing that fire or heat from a stove can hurt or kills us until we're conditioned from our parents, peers, etc. the at fire/heat is dangerous. Much of what we feel as adults is correlated to our childhood. Some may agree based on other theories and/or empirical research.

I don't have a fear of cold-calling. I simply don't like the mental games I play with myself before I cold-call. Once I'm on the phone or once I'm in the field every thing's fine and I'm very effective.

Yes, but you have experience, knowledge and ambition to know that about yourself. Behavioral and/or cognitive conditioning can help with that, but it's not the end all cure we're all searching for. If there wasn't "something" preventing you from having to play mental games before cold calling you wouldn't have to psyche yourself up.

But I've trained hundreds of reps to go B to B and if even once you're out there you don't like it it's over. Save your money on the books. Same with the phones. If after you're all warmed up and making calls you're thinking "I hate this" then you'll never do it.

That is purely a subjective perspective and it's not definitive. What doesn't the rep like about cold calling or going to B2B? How does the rep feel when a prospect says no? Are they confident and can they project confidence?

Rejection hurts no matter who you are because we are conditioned, primarily through evolution, to seek out support from other people, while being cautious and protecting ourselves from that need.

Same with car sales - I've trained newbies there also. I dragged one guy around with me for 2 days and after that I pointed to a customer getting out of their car and said "ok, you're up." His reply? "That's ok, I'd rather spend another day with you." Done - over. We started a pool. I had him quitting after a week. I lost - he bagged it 2 days later.

What was the criteria used to hire new employees? Nothing is 100% effective, but you have to look at it objectively and maximize your time. If you had faith and trust in a test, combined with your sales experience and knowledge regarding sales and interviewing, would spending $100 on a test be considered a bad investment? That depends on how you look at.

If you make $2000 a week and work 40 hours you're bringing in $50 an hour so you can either take 2 hours of your time and pay for the test yourself and allocate another 1 hour for whatever other questions you would like answered, as well as a discussion.

But what if you had a potential hire and he or she paid for the test (Multiple signs there) and you only need to spend an hour with the person. You have effectively made $250 ($50 x 2 hours out of 3 total hours + $100 for test) with 1/3 the time to help you reach the decision to hire the person or not. That's a nice 5:1 return.

When I sold merchant services to small business owners the regional sales manager had one question for me after I went through the 2 previous interviews.

"J.R., do you have a problem with going up to a woman on the dance floor and asking her to dance."

"No, I don't, would you like to go test that out and compare notes?" We didn't do that initially, but two weeks after we met and I got flown out to Ohio for training we had some fun comparing notes and working the room.

Books might teach you some skills but they don't give you a pair. You either have a pair or you don't.

I disagree. You can learn to grow a pair with proper support, knowledge and "inner" game. Inner game being the most important IMHO.

IMHO...

In addition to what was said above, I think most people want structure. Many are not born leaders and need someone holding their hand to show them what to do. John had the perfect example with the car "salesman" who did not want the up (or lead, depending on what sales you are in).

So, they come to the insurance field, get some attention from an IMO, then are thrown to the field where they fail since there is no one there to tell them what to do.

They funny thing is that people know what to do. Everyone knows that eating right and exercise will keep you healthy, but look at all the overweight people out there (probably calling you for insurance).

There are 2 types of people in this world:
People who know what to do
People who do it

Disclaimer: I am not trying to blow my own horn since I am not as successful as I should be, because I am not practicing what I am preaching. So, time to kick my own a**...

There are 2 types of people in this world:
People who do it

I assert there are three types of people:
People who do it
People that do it sometimes

I do it sometimes

T
here are 2 types of people in this world:
People who do it

I assert there are three types of people:
People who do it

I asseverate that there are actually 5 types of people.
People who do it
People that don't care
And people who are trying to figure out what they need to do

Back