Will BBB Backlink Help SEO?

It makes for good TV when they give Disney a F rating since they weren't a member and only changed it when the public got pissed off?

What changed? A rating can be changed if people get upset? How so? If Disney deserved a F, then they get a F - not an A if people get upset? The BBB is a fraud.

BBB is a non-profit that really does a lot of good folks. For most businesses, especially if not a franchise/chain type, it gives you instant creditability with the public.

Like most of you, I too once thought they were a scam but after serving 3 years as a volunteer on the local board, I can tell you they are good people. It is not true that one has to be a member to get a complaint resolved in their favor. I've seen many that aren't but after they experienced the BBB, they joined. I've also seen a TON of Fraud done by businesses that hurt consumers & the BBB is at the forefront to help close these businesses down!

The BBB logo on your site does give the consumer confidence to do business with you. It can be an html link to your page at the BBB so they can read all about you.

We've been a BBB member since we started HometownQuotes.com back in 2004.

I think the credibility factor is worth the money. I think there is an SEO benefit, but for the SEO benefit you would do better with high quality directory listings. You can get into both business.com and Yahoo.com for $500 a year.

I use the BBB logo in my email drips, my snail mail and on my site. I think it matters.

Our mailings state that we have had no complaints since we became members and our prospects can easily verify that. I can say a lot of things true and untrue about how wonderful our agency is, but few if any are so easily verifiable by our prospects.

it gives you instant creditability with the public.

that's the problem people have with the BBB! how is writing an almost $500 check to the BBB any different from offering a bribe? no one should ever gain instant credibility just by writing a check.

In my opinion, the BBB lost their teeth a long time ago. If someone has a legitimate complaint about a business, they will have much more success filing the complaint with their state's AG than they will with the BBB.

you see how divided opinions are on this forum about the BBB. I'd say that the general public's opinion is likewise.

Last edited:
BBB is a non-profit that really does a lot of good folks. For most businesses, especially if not a franchise/chain type, it gives you instant creditability with the public.

Like most of you, I too once thought they were a scam but after serving 3 years as a volunteer on the local board, I can tell you they are good people. It is not true that one has to be a member to get a complaint resolved in their favor. I've seen many that aren't but after they experienced the BBB, they joined. I've also seen a TON of Fraud done by businesses that hurt consumers & the BBB is at the forefront to help close these businesses down!

The BBB logo on your site does give the consumer confidence to do business with you. It can be an html link to your page at the BBB so they can read all about you.

We've been a BBB member since we started HometownQuotes.com back in 2004.

This was not my experience and I'd encourage you to watch the video I posted a few pages back.

Another business of mine received a F rating after a single complaint. I actually had no idea until they called.

While on the phone, I was stunned that I'd received a F after 1 complaint and asked about it. They said many different criteria was used for their grading process. I asked, aside from that single complaint, what else was going against me.

The rep had nodda....nothing and the conversation immediately turned towards extortion. My F would stand and not change (yes, she said that) until I paid. I was incensed. This was fraud and bribery.

I repeated back to her that my grade would change if I paid to become a member. There was a long pause - she knew better than to say "yes" so she said the "only way" my grade could improve would be to pay.

I had a few choice words for her and hung up.

BBB claims that they have accreditation standards yet per the video, Dateline signed up Al Qaeda, the terrorist organization, and got they accredited instantly after paying. Ooopsie on that one I guess.

Back