Would You Write Today's Options MAPD on your 92 Yr Old Grandmother?

The answer to why she was rejected was that she did not have a PDP in place when the MAPD was written.

Rick

Good catch, Rick! I assumed grandma had a PDP, but going back over the comments, I note that a PDP was never mentioned, so if she did not have a PDP, then she would not be allowed to pick one up through the purchase of a MAPD during the OEP. The fact that no one at CMS pointed this out underscores the mindless bureacracy's lack of interest in serving the public.

It's been awhile since I logged in. Here is the update on Grandma's MAPD.

I first called Pyramid again, laying odds that if I spoke with another person I would get a completely different answer. That part, I was correct about.
I got a completely different answer and this time it was making more sense. The lady said Grandma was probably dis-enrolled because she did not have Part D and I wrote a MAPD. I thought, surely that cannot be but, with Rick's help I found out Grandma had not enrolled in Part D. Since we are past the 12/31 enrollment period we were out of luck.
So, as much as I would like to lay this off on TO, Anthem, CMS, Hillary, Barack......anyone! I cannot. I incorrectly assumed she had part D. Thanks again for Rick's help and it looks like Grandma is off to MOO/UOO.

I hope that your signing her up for MOO/UOO until the next AEP! Here in Ohio MOO/UOO are playing games and I'll only write them for the short term, such as the case with your client. It's BS, MOO opens a book UW for a few years and then shuts it and then opens a new book under UOO.

I wish I had known this a couple years ago about MOO. I would have never written a UW for any of my clients other than the short term. Now you have UOO! who the heck does MOO think there kidding? If the rates in your State do what they did here in Ohio then your not doing your clients any favors by putting them on UOO long term.

Give any good agent a couple minutes and they'll be able to explain why they need to go with a IA plan such as Anthem or a community rated plan like AARP over a company such as MOO / UOO's AA plans.

Samantha,
Please explain to me how an IA plan is better than an AA plan. I cannot see the benefit in paying $180 for an IA plan when you can get an AA plan for $70. They all get increases no matter if it is IA,AA or CR. I am not defending MOO either.

Insureitnow,

We do not have UOO here in IN. We still have UW.

Senior-Advisor-Indiana,

Here in Ohio for $70 you maybe able to get a plan A if that.

An Agent selling only based on price will sell the AA over an IA because in the short run it's cheaper and they are only selling on $$ and not what is best for the client.

Lets compare Anthem without the 10% 1st year and 5% 2nd year discount since across the board all their Med Supps offer this.

A 65 year old on AA C is currently paying $136.56, at age 66 goes to $140.11, by age 67 the curent rate is $153.48, at age 70 the rate is $167.02.

The same 65 year old IA C the premium is $149.41.

If you sold a client a policy when they turned 65 and they are now 75 they'd be paying $200.89 for their AA plan C policy whereas the same individual on IA C would be paying $149.41.

I know your not defending MOO, UW or UOO. However, as I stated in the past, once you close a book of business all that will happen when there's no new blood being added to the book to spread the risk around the book will go through the roof! Now, those that can pass underwriting can move to another plan. Those that won't pass underwriting will either stick it out as long as they can afford the rate increases or move to a MA plan.

UW had a 18% rate increase last year and just had another 18% rate increase for this year not including the 5% for turning a year older.

In closing, if a company is going to keep opening and closing books of business then they better look to offer MA plans because they'll keep losing insureds to them.

If you sold a client a policy when they turned 65 and they are now 75 they'd be paying $200.89 for their AA plan C policy whereas the same individual on IA C would be paying $149.41.

I can gaurantee you that the IA price would be more than $149.41 by the time that client reaches age 75. Actually it would probably be more by the time they reached 68.

I can gaurantee you that the IA price would be more than $149.41 by the time that client reaches age 75. Actually it would probably be more by the time they reached 68.

You know not what you speak my dear sir. I've been selling Anthem here in Ohio for well over 10 years and know that an AA policy with Anthem is cheaper than the IA for a few years but then takes off.

To confirm what I am saying, go to Anthem.com and check this for yourself. Look at the AA and the IA brochures and you'll see it in black and white.

I'll say this one last time, an individual that took out AA Plan C at age 65 and they are now 75 is paying $200.89 and this same individual could have taken out an IA Plan C policy at age 65 and they are now 75 and they are paying $149.41.

Well if that is true than that is a very very rare situation. The IA plans in IN are no where near competitve to the AA plans. Was that Anthem plan (Issue Age)available when that client was 65 or is it a newer plan? That could explain. Keep your eyes peeled because it will not be competitve for long my dear. ;)

The ATH IA plans have been available here for over 10 years and is not a new book of business. ATH doesn't play games like MOO does with offering UW for 4 years or less and then they close the book and open up UOO with low teaser rates.

Question, how long has UW been in IN?

Back