$10,000 to $25,000 deductibles

I'll sell Time when GR either won't approve or will rider and my client's won't take the decision.

Case yesterday - family of six:

husband with acid reflux
wife with acid reflux
Three kids with asthma - meds from Xopenex to Proventil. Not a shot in hell I'm giving that to GR - wouldn't matter anyway since the wife said if the conditions aren't covered there's no deal.

Currently paying $1,100 for coverage, now paying $580 with Time's HSA - everything covered.

Time rocks for underwriting. GR still needs to get a clue. GR's great for healthy people though. Wish I found more.

It's not all about price.

I agree John... but the rates in TX are sick! Sometimes the new business rate with Assurant is higher than the policy that has had 5 rate increases.

Although, it can be pretty across the board. I have found $200+ variations between zip codes on families of 4 in their 30's.

I do like the rate guarantee for those about to be on Medicare or someone that plans on being covered by a group plan in two years after finishing a degree or something. The underwriting flexibility of Assurant is also a big selling point. Once again, assuming a can actually save them something..

I'm of the mentality that I'm not going to move someone that has decent coverage if I can't save them enough to justify the trouble...

And then, there are pockets where they're priced within 20-25% of BC/BS and Unicare. I can sell that deal. Assurant has excellent coverage.

Assurant has been dead for years in Texas, maybe face to face you can get away with over charging $200/mo - I do not know how anyone sells it. Assurant is pushing KeyMed for uninsurables when our Texas High Risk Pool (great coverage from BCBS) is CHEAPER with REAL benefits. I ran the numbers and seriously question how anyone can sell a limited Assurant plan when the risk pool is cheaper?

The lowest priced $10,000 deductible in Texas (my opinion) is the BCBS SAVER. Even if they had a $20k plan I highly doubt the price break would justify the cost difference. Underwriting is pretty fair - they won't take someone that is really in bad shape but they do take most of the basic stuff with no problems, very few rates ups, very few riders.

Other carriers have burned me too much on what I consider to be "no-brainers" like HBP and cholesterol. I'm spoiled with Assurant - in underwriting, approved and issued.

I've had too many false promises by other carriers: "Oh, choose a high deductible and we won't rider it." Yeah...right. Into underwriting it goes and here comes the exclusion.

Now, if you're selling to internet leads - they're mainly broke so you need to shill the cheapest coverage and sell riders thereby putting your clients in potentially bad situations. I will NEVER have my clients sign off on HBP or cholesterol riders. "nothing outpatient" covered can really add up.

I work with people who have money so they'd rather be protected at the higher rate.

Assurant has been dead for years in Texas, maybe face to face you can get away with over charging $200/mo - I do not know how anyone sells it. Assurant is pushing KeyMed for uninsurables when our Texas High Risk Pool (great coverage from BCBS) is CHEAPER with REAL benefits. I ran the numbers and seriously question how anyone can sell a limited Assurant plan when the risk pool is cheaper?

The lowest priced $10,000 deductible in Texas (my opinion) is the BCBS SAVER. Even if they had a $20k plan I highly doubt the price break would justify the cost difference. Underwriting is pretty fair - they won't take someone that is really in bad shape but they do take most of the basic stuff with no problems, very few rates ups, very few riders.

You have far more options in TX then I do in MD. It's Time, GR or Aetna here.

Yes, with their $500 drug caps, 6 week of underwriting and no published underwriting guidelines. Can't forget them.

My market is Assurant and GR. GR's great - not a fit for everyone.

You should be receiving updates from your local RSD at Assurant about their plans updates. It doesn't apply in TX, but Assurant now has a carryover provision for the Max plans with a $15K or $25K deductible. There is a very reputable carrier that will cover accidents up to $15K PER PERSON PER YEAR and it's not some crappy association plan. PM or e-mail me and I can fill you in. You can tell me all about Starbucks in your new state :)

CT, KS, KY, MN, NH, NV, and TX do not allow it the Max plan provision. Something to think about in other states though since you can lock the rates in for 3 years and combine that with the carryover provision.

Latest posts

Back